Q. How to treat intermittent exotropia?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Oct 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

Hi Doctor,

My brother is 16 years old. He has intermittent exotropia from childhood. It goes out frequently. Is there any way to cure it?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Intermittent exotropia is common in young people. One or both eyes go outward on and off commonly when they are inattentive, under stress or illness. But, if they got good fusion, then they keep their eyes straight by focusing on the target and can control exotropia.
  • Intermittent exotropia can go as it is or can improve or sometimes, it decompensates with time and becomes permanent or constant exotropia.
  • In early cases, orthoptic exercises can be helpful to enhance convergence of muscles like pencil tip exercise. The most important thing is to check refractive error correction.
  • Your brother is now 16, but in young age, refraction is necessary to avoid amblyopia. In your brother's case, you have to decide how frequent your brother is having this problem.
  • Usually for intermittent exotropia, surgery is not preferred until you can control your eyes. But, if it decompensates and becomes permanent or you feel fatigued, then you can get squint surgery.
  • Squint surgery got good results. So, I would recommend you to go to your eye doctor and discuss all these and then decide what you want. He will do the best.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

What would you recommend for amblyopic eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I have some questions about my eyesight. I have amblyopia and strabismus. When I was born, I was almost blind in my left eye around 20/200. My eye doctor made me wear glasses and patch my right eye until I was about 6. As I absolutely hated the patching I wa...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have explained everything very well. Whenever there is a difference in refractive status of more than 1 diopter between two eyes, there is a chance of amblyopia (lazy eye) when the brain starts ignoring the blurry eye. I think your eye doctor has done a great job that...  Read Full

After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hour...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This squint is sensory esotropia, which means that due to some cause your retina detached leaving you with no vision in that eye and at that early age brain failed to keep both eyes straight leaving to squint. Success rate of squint surgery is quite high (90%). Even afte...  Read Full

I have myopia. What can I do to reduce power and quit glasses completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old boy and I have myopia (2.5 approximately in both the eyes) and I am wearing glasses since two and a half years. Now, I am thinking to quit glasses. What best can I do to reduce the power and quit glasses completely?  Read Full >>

Dr. Bhavna
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Myopia is a refractive error. The change in your refractive correction should be checked every six months to note any progression/improvement. Even a fundus examination is necessary. The refractive correction needed can be given either via spectacles or contact lens...  Read Full