Extra Pulmonary Tb

My mother had TB meningitis and is now suspected to have tubercular spine. Help.

Query: Respected doctor, My 63 year old mother was diagnosed with tuberculosis meningitis (TBM) 10 months ago when she complained of a severe headache. She has undergone CSF study and the report of the study is attached. She has been taking ATT medicines since then. The list of all the medicines she is tak...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post which has nicely described the events. Also, I reviewed her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If she has received ATT (antitubercular therapy) for tubercular meningitis 10 months ago, it is highly unlikely that she has ...  Read Full »

Can I drink water while fasting for a thyroid profile test?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the last 10 months, my periods are very irregular. I get periods only once every three to four months. I am on treatment for abdominal TB since the last one and a half years. I take Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach in the morning. I take Duonase nasal spray (two puffs in each nos...  Read Full »

Dr. Keerti Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your irregular periods can be due to your obesity. You need to lose some weight. You have a history of TB (tuberculosis). So, there may be chances that your uterus might have got affected due to that. I suggest the following tests: USG (ultrasonography) of th...  Read Full »

I have been detected with a tuberculosis lump. How long it will take to dissolve?

Query: Hi doctor, How long should I take treatment to dissolve a tuberculosis lump? I have been detected this lump two years back. I showed it to the doctor where I was asked to take RHE-FD for two months which got extended to three months and stopped but the lump was not completely dissolved. Then again ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Vilas Jawarkar

Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any anti-tuberculosis regimen has to be taken for a minimum of six months for pulmonary tuberculosis and nine months for extrapulmonary tuberculosis. Your tuberculosis appears to be extrapulmonary. There is no indication to stop treatment after three months even if test...  Read Full »

Is my friend's husband suffering from advanced stage of AIDS?

Query: Hi doctor,Eight months back, my best friend's husband, who is 53 years old, was diagnosed with positive HIV, hepatitis B and lymph node TB. He is taking proper medicine, but gained so much weight. Now, for over a week, he has been having cold and cough during evening. He is a smoker. Is he currently...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Extra pulmonary tuberculosis, that is TB other than of the lungs is usually an indicator of poor immunity and can be seen in advanced stages of HIV. However, CD4 count also plays a very vital role in determining if the patient has a chance to recover from such in...  Read Full »