Q. I have been detected with a tuberculosis lump. How long it will take to dissolve?

Dr. Ashish Vilas Jawarkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2018

How long should I take treatment to dissolve a tuberculosis lump? I have been detected this lump two years back. I showed it to the doctor where I was asked to take RHE-FD for two months which got extended to three months and stopped but the lump was not completely dissolved. Then again I got another lump near neck a year back and I again started the medication, which is still continuing. Within which I got the third lump and was operated and after culture test all the reports were normal. I was about to stop the medicines but the first lump now has become little big and now the doctor has asked me to have R-Cinex 450 for three months and stop RHE-FD. The lab tests performed were FNAC, histopathology, culture TB MGIT & identification.

I just want to know that is this the symptom of a serious issue? Please suggest me a good suggestion as I am now fed up with it and want to get out of it.

#

Any anti-tuberculosis regimen has to be taken for a minimum of six months for pulmonary tuberculosis and nine months for extrapulmonary tuberculosis. Your tuberculosis appears to be extrapulmonary. There is no indication to stop treatment after three months even if tests are negative.

I would advise you to visit a good pulmonologist and get yourself checked for drug resistance and restart anti TB treatment.

Tb is completely curable if proper and complete treatment is taken. So, do not worry.

For more information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

Please suggest me a good doctor so that I can get rid of it.

#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

I am not based in your place. So, I have no idea about doctors there.

One more suggestion. I want to know that, is it safe to conceive now when I am in the middle of this treatment? I have just completed two years of my marriage. So I have little family pressure due to this. I do not want to take any wrong decision about this. Please suggest me, sir.

#

Most anti TB drugs are safe to take in pregnancy. However, it will depend on the drugs that your pulmonologist starts and their dose. Anti TB treatment is a combination of 3 to 4 antibiotics, exact safety will depend on which drug you are taking. Do not conceive till you have an exact idea of drugs that will be given to you.

For further queries consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|