Q. Can I drink water while fasting for a thyroid profile test?

Dr. Keerti Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Since the last 10 months, my periods are very irregular. I get periods only once every three to four months. I am on treatment for abdominal TB since the last one and a half years. I take Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach in the morning. I take Duonase nasal spray (two puffs in each nostril) twice a day. I take Immunace Forte after lunch and Libotryp at bedtime. So, why are my periods not regular? Is this a side effect of my medicine or could it be due to a disease? Recently, I was also prescribed Uprise-D3 (60000) once a month for six months. My recent 25-OH vitamin D total is 21.1 ng/mL. I also have sudden weight gain. My weight in the last one and a half years increased from 57 kg to 81 kg. I also have a chronic nose block.

Dr. Keerti Patel

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your irregular periods can be due to your obesity. You need to lose some weight. You have a history of TB (tuberculosis). So, there may be chances that your uterus might have got affected due to that.

I suggest the following tests:

1. USG (ultrasonography) of the pelvis.
  2. Menstrual blood AFB (acid-fast bacillus).
  3. Endometrial biopsy to rule out a genital TB infection.
  4. Thyroid profile.
  5. Prolactin levels.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

For prolactin test, we need to fast for 10 to 12 hours. Am I correct? And, am I allowed to drink water during the fast? Also, which thyroid test am I supposed to undergo? Being an unmarried female, I do not think I require an AFB test. What is your opinion?

Dr. Keerti Patel

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can have water during the fast. The thyroid profile consists of free T3, free T4, and serum TSH levels, all three of which need to be done. If you are unmarried, then go for the second-day menstrual blood AFB test to rule out genital TB.

| 

For T3, T4 and TSH tests, do I need to fast? If yes, then can I have water during the fast? And also, I have not understood what you mean by second-day menstrual blood AFB test. Is it a blood test? Is it to be done with fasting? Please provide me the full details of this AFB test.

Dr. Keerti Patel

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, you have to fast before a thyroid profile test. But, you can have water.

Menstrual blood AFB test is a test of your menstrual blood on the second day of your periods. You have to collect it on your own in a clean container and get that for the AFB test.

| 

Is prolactin blood test to be done during periods? Or, can it be done at any point of time in a month?

Dr. Keerti Patel

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Prolactin test can be done at any point in a month.

| 

Thanks for replying. How about free T3, T4 and serum TSH blood tests? Can they also be done at any point of time in a month?

Dr. Keerti Patel

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, it can be done at any point of time in a month.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full »

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full »