Q. Why do I have a lump around site of tooth removal and bone graft?

Dr. Divya Banu M

A few years ago I had a tooth removed and had a bone graft in preparation for an implant. I have yet to get the implant but recently I have developed a lump and pain around the site of the removal or graft. My oral surgeon and dentist cannot see me for next three days but I am nervous as to what it could be?

#

I have gone through your query.

You do not have to worry. It could be just an exaggerated soft tissue or hard tissue growth in that area as a process of healing. But since you are saying that you have pain, I assume you would have had toothbrush trauma or irritation due to denture (if you are wearing denture), or any hyperplastic tissue (bone or soft tissue). If these are ruled out, then it could be due to some infection in that site or nearby tooth. Mostly, it must be physiological only. Do not worry. If you can send me a picture of that area, I can guide you with a provisional diagnosis. Radiograph (intra-oral periapical) will be required to assess that area.

Do you have any lymphadenopathy (painful swelling of lymph nodes near the angle of the jaw or below jaw)? Any pus discharge? If it is just erythematous and moderate pain, you can take Paracetamol. Do lukewarm salt water gargling. Do not worry. You will be fine. Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|