Q. What could be the reason for my odd eye movements?

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I noticed odd eye movements a month ago and would like you to assess. I had a double vision which is corrected with prism glasses that I started wearing since nine months. I have tingling sensation for the past two years due to Raynaud's phenomenon, but the weird eye movements are new. I am currently taking tablets Blexten 20 mg twice daily, capsule Adderall 20 mg twice daily, 6 % Hydroquinone in 1 % Hydrocortisone cream, and Rosiver cream. I underwent laboratory investigations for the Raynaud's phenomenon and the results were normal but with elevated ANA and anti-Sm. I would like to know if my eyelids are normal or if something is off. Kindly suggest me a solution.

#

Thank you for the query. Yes, your eyelids in the photo (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) seem fine to me. Were you diagnosed with SLE? Did the double vision persist and does it go away when you cover one eye? Does one eyelid go down or close at times?

Kindly get back for a follow-up. Thank you.

When I have my glasses on there is no double vision. When I take my glasses off, it does go away when I close one eye. I was not diagnosed with SLE. One eyelid does not close or go down. I just wanted to ensure it was not ptosis. One eye looks smaller than the other I guess. How do I upload a video? Can I have anti-Smith antibodies and not have SLE? Kindly suggest.

#

Thanks for the response. I do not see ptosis with the pictures you sent, and yes the right upper lid seems a bit smaller in the picture. But I do not see it as abnormal. However, if you feel that there is a drastic change then you must go see a neurologist. Also, if the double vision goes away with one eye closed, it might be binocular diplopia so I am understanding there must be problems with extraocular muscles. Does it happen when you are tired? How about your voice and your limbs, do they get weak at times, especially in the afternoon? I am not sure about having anti-Sm (anti-Smith antibody) and not having SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). I strongly encourage you to consult with a neurologist for a complete neurologic examination. Hope this helped you out.

I have my glasses on all the time, so I do not know if it happens when I am tired. My voice and my limbs are fine. I had a neurologic exam in the ER a few weeks ago when I went there for a tingling sensation examination. I also had a CT and both were unremarkable. I have attached a video of my odd eye movement that is, they move by themselves. I also uploaded additional photos of my eyes just to be sure. I have a video of the odd eye movement. How do I upload it? Kindly help me.

#

I will see the video once available. I already saw the photos.

Hope this helped you.

Thanks and regards.

|