Eye Floaters

What is the screening period of diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I got late-onset type 1 diabetes when I was 25 years old. I was told diabetic retinopathy takes at least five years, but I have had some vision changes. I am concerned about that. I have been seeing rather large floaters. They are not crystal floaters but appear in bri...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. The symptoms of flashes of light with the presence of floaters along with the history of diabetes require evaluation. Waiting for two and a half weeks will be too long considering your profile as you are having type 1 diabetes. Five years is ...  Read Full »

Why are there several floaters in my left eye after laser capsulotomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38-year-old male. I have a family history of myopia and cataract. I had myopia since early childhood. I developed a cataract in both my eyes at the age of 32 and had them operated upon followed by an IOL in both the eyes. Soon after, in the same year, I developed opacification ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is the exact meaning when you use this word "bubble"? After capsulotomy, capsular fragments start floating in vitreous leading to floaters. This sensation usually decreases with time and slowly over time the brain starts avoiding these images and the patient be...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for epiretinal menbrane and eye floaters?

Query: Hello doctor, I went in for a regular eye exam and told I have an epiretinal membrane. Last year I had floaters and flashing and went to a specialist who said all is fine. I went for new glasses and they told me I had an epiretinal membrane. I have an appointment next week with the specialist,...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The epiretinal membrane will decrease you. There is a jelly-like substance in the eye and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. You should go to an ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floa...  Read Full »

Why do I see spinning wheel or fan type of thing in side vision?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed that sometimes I can see two or one spinning wheel or fan type thing in my side vision. Suddenly it comes and goes on its own. What can it be? I am scared about retinal detachment. Last I got my retina tested 1.5 years ago and it was fine.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These things are floaters. They happen due to changes in the vitreous which is jelly like thing in front of retina. If you are seeing now and then, just ignore it. If there is an increase in number of floaters and if you start seeing flashes then consult an Ophthalmo...  Read Full »

I have a history of concussion and suffering from eye floaters at present. Please suggest treatment.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 20 years old, with 155 pounds. I have been having eye trouble seeing squiggles and floaters in my vision. Also, I cannot focus, and it seems like the lighting goes different. Two years ago, I got into a car accident and suffered a concussion. I do not know what it can be. It is als...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Floaters are usually due to changes in vitreous (jelly in the back of the eye) when it starts liquefied and detached from retina. It often is the aging process after the 40s to 50s age, but in cases of trauma, surgery, or myopia, it can even be at an earlier age. As ...  Read Full »

I see a black dot which does not move on rubbing of my eyes. What it is?

Query: Hello doctor, I see a black dot that has not gone away since yesterday does not move when I rub my eye or blink. It is more significant than floaters I usually see. It seems to move when I jiggle my eye a lot and moves slowly down after I shake my eye.  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fact that it is moving confirms that is also a floater but maybe newly acquired. Your age does not seem to put you in any danger of systemic diseases unless there is a family history of some genetic diseases. Marijuana does not seem to be the cause either. Howeve...  Read Full »

What causes floating images in the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old, and I see some floating images and sometimes see a small flash of light in both the eyes. I consulted a doctor, who told me to take Vesoret capsule and use Nevanac eye drops for three months. But after using it for three months, there is no difference. Please give me so...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to know if you wear glasses. If yes, then what is your refraction? Secondly, these floating images are called as vitreous floaters, which are harmless but bothering. These are physiological changes. Thirdly, since you are complaining of flash, for th...  Read Full »

Why do I see a spinning fan in my vision when I close my eyes?

Query: Hello doctor,Sometimes, if I take a nap or close my eyes, I see a fan-type rotating thing in my eyes which goes in one minute. If I close my eyes, I can see that. It is a black-colored fan-like thing rotating. Is this normal? I am myopic and my retina was tested last year.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have mentioned, you may have experienced a certain physiological entity called "phosphene". This is nothing to worry about. I suggest that you see an ophthalmologist in case you have the following: Floaters which move around in your opened eye if incre...  Read Full »

I see a transparent floater and light flashes at the edge of visual field. How many days can I wait to see my doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, About six hours ago, I started seeing a transparent floater which I had not seen before, and then three hours later, I started seeing light flashes at the edge of my visual field in my left eye. Can I wait for three more days to see my doctor?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have access to an ophthalmologist on this weekend, then get a thorough retinal evaluation with indentation done. The symptoms you are describing are consistent with posterior vitreous detachment, a process which by itself does not cause a decrease in vision. ...  Read Full »

What can be done If I have blurred vision in one eye while the other is closed?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently have noticed a slight blurriness in my right eye. It is only noticeable when I close my left eye, and so I am not sure how long it has taken for this to develop. I am going to see an optometrist and doctor early next week but am currently on the road for work. My main ques...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This kind of a picture of eyesight becoming better on looking at specific directions are related to astigmatism. It is a very prevalent and correctable condition. There is no need to be anxious about it. Different reasons cause floaters. A dilated retinal examination w...  Read Full »