Q. How to cure eye infection lasting more than two weeks?

Dr. Asha Barboza

My son is having an eye infection for the past two weeks and it is not healing. What to do?

#

I am sorry to hear about your son's problem. I have gone through the photo that you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be an infection of the tear drainage sac. I can confirm it and I need a further medical history of your child. Please say whether he had any watering from both the eyes after birth, had any recurrent infection in both the eyes, any mucoid or yellowish discharge from the inner corner of the eyes, and whether there is a change in the white of the eye to become pink. You can try putting pressure with your finger on the inner corner near the bridge of the nose. You can see pus coming out or he can start crying due to pain.

If he had any watery eyes before getting an infection, there is a possibility to have congenital dacryocystitis. This occurs when the tube connecting the eye to the nose gets blocked. If it is blocked, the secretions from the eyes get collected in the sac causing infection. It is treated by giving antibiotics in the form of drops and ointments. Tobramycin eye drops help a lot. He requires an antibiotic syrup for a few days. If he is confirmed with dacryocystitis, he needs a procedure called nasolacrimal duct probing. If it is diagnosed earlier, we advise massaging the area for a few months. For him, it is present for a year and so he may require a probing procedure. If it is just bacterial conjunctivitis, Tobramycin eye drops help him. Please give a reply to the above questions to help you further.

I gave him antibiotics and eye drops. But nothing helped him. Can you recommend any other medicine for him?

#

I have gone through the new photo that is sent and it appears like a hemorrhage under the conjunctiva. It occurs commonly due to injury. If it is not happened due to it, it can occur in severe hemorrhagic conjunctivitis which is usually of viral origin. Please say whether he had any fall or a bang on his eye. His lower eyelid also appears to have a blood clot and it appears blue.

There is no treatment for viral conjunctivitis except Tobramycin eye drops can be given for four to five days to prevent secondary bacterial infection. You can use a cold compress twice a day for five days to reduce the swelling. The redness or hemorrhage takes up to ten days to get healed completely. If he has a fever, it is good to consult an ophthalmologist and pediatrician as soon as possible. A medical prescription cannot be given. If you are unable to meet the doctor in the hospital, you can try a video consultation online.

|