Q. There is a constant irritation and sticky tendency in eyes. Kindly help.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Apr 11, 2019

The patient is suffering from irritation in eyes for many days. It seems that some pollen is annoying and she rubs her eyes to remove it. She washes with water and uses rose water and Ciprofloxacin eye drops in her eyes. But she is not getting relief. Now her eyes have sticking tendency. Please advise.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Pollen has a notorious tendency to cause allergic conjunctivitis. The predominant symptom in allergic conjunctivitis is eye rubbing. When the patients rub their eyes, whatever dust or germs are there on their fingers go into their eyes. Thus setting up an infection. Such infection needs to be treated by a qualified ophthalmologist.

In the meantime, please follow these instructions:

1. Continue Ciprofloxacin eye drops six times a day.

2. Wash the sticky discharge with clean running water.

3. Use tissues to wipe the spill rather than your handkerchief as you tend to rub the same infection again onto your eye with a scarf.

4. Avoid eye rubbing.

I hope you get well soon.

| 

Can dry eyes result from excessive computer use?

Query: Hi doctor, I am using artificial tear drops during the day and an artificial tear gel in the night before going to bed for dry eyes. In most of the days, I feel a lot better, however, one day or another I have the same symptoms or watery eyes and redness and minor blurred vision. This happens with...  Read Full »

Are bacterial conjunctivitis and blepharitis related?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I also have seborrhoeic dermatitis (perhaps rosacea as well), and my condition has improved greatly. Recently, I got very bad allergy symptoms, my eyes and nose became extremely itchy, causing me to sneeze a lot. This morning when I woke up, I had trou...  Read Full »

Why has the automatic blinking stopped in my child?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 16 years old. He is myopic with the approximate power in left eye being -5.5 spherical and cylindrical - 0.5, right eye being -6 spherical and cylindrical - 0.75. Since the last few days (4 to 5 days) he is facing a problem in his eyes. He feels his automatic blinking has st...  Read Full »