Q. There is a constant irritation and sticky tendency in eyes. Kindly help.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

The patient is suffering from irritation in eyes for many days. It seems that some pollen is annoying and she rubs her eyes to remove it. She washes with water and uses rose water and Ciprofloxacin eye drops in her eyes. But she is not getting relief. Now her eyes have sticking tendency. Please advise.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Pollen has a notorious tendency to cause allergic conjunctivitis. The predominant symptom in allergic conjunctivitis is eye rubbing. When the patients rub their eyes, whatever dust or germs are there on their fingers go into their eyes. Thus setting up an infection. Such infection needs to be treated by a qualified ophthalmologist.

In the meantime, please follow these instructions:

1. Continue Ciprofloxacin eye drops six times a day.

2. Wash the sticky discharge with clean running water.

3. Use tissues to wipe the spill rather than your handkerchief as you tend to rub the same infection again onto your eye with a scarf.

4. Avoid eye rubbing.

I hope you get well soon.

|