Q. I am having explosive diarrhea since three months. Please help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Apr 22, 2018

I am having diarrhea since three to four months. What actually is happening is I am getting large amount of water which is clear with small broken pieces of feces. Also, I can see tissue like (lace-like) mucus like things in my feces. I have abdominal discomfort when I do not defecate. My diarrhea is like expulsive and when I apply pressure at the coccyx, the water comes out explosively nevertheless, how many times I do this. After defecating, I have mild pain in my legs. I do not have obvious signs of dehydration but yes cheilosis is present and abdominal discomfort. I cannot have my meals properly. But, I feel hungry with gaps, I cannot finish my meal but then I feel hungry after an hour or so. I hope you help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

From your symptoms, you could have a chronic infection or inflammatory condition of the colon associated with malabsorption. It could be a number of things so we need to approach in a stepwise manner.

If symptoms are associated with certain food intakes like dairy or gluten, it could be intolerance or allergy to these.

• Do you have other symptoms like dark urine, and is the stool pale in color?
  • Have you had any weight loss recently or fever?
  • Do you have mouth ulcers or eye irritation? These could be associated with inflammatory bowel disease.

Please get the following investigations done and let me know the results. That will help us narrow down the list and identify the cause. You have vitamin B deficiency which also suggests malabsorption.

1. Anti-endomysial antibodies.
  2. p-ANCA antibodies.
  3. Stool routine and microscopic exam.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have uncontrollable watery diarrhea and so cannot visit my GP. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and weigh 11 stones exactly. For the past five weeks, I have had uncontrollable watery diarrhea, no blood. Not much pain. I am type 2 diabetic. I am beginning to feel very weak and tired now. At night especially, I find I have been ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of the times, diarrhea is due to a viral infection. Maintaining hydration is very important and you can take ORS (oral rehydration salts) or coconut water or clear soups. Also, check your blood sugar if you have a home glucose monitor. A visit to your physi...  Read Full

Please suggest medicines to treat IBD in a 7-year-old child.

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 7 years old. He has diarrhea with a lot of blood in it. He goes to the washroom almost 20 times in day and night. The doctors say he has IBD. They are giving him steroid medicine to stop his blood in stool and inflammation in the intestine. What would you suggest to take, or...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) is an inflammatory disorder of the colon. It can be managed naturally through Ayurvedic medicines.  Read Full

What causes blood and mucous in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and I weigh 60 kg. A few days back, after dinner, I passed stools and while flushing, I found the stool to have mucous and blood. When I attempted to clean the anal region after defecating, I found all three tips of my finge...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following are the possibilities according to your complaints: Acute dysentery. Piles (hemorrhoids). Inflammatory Bowel Disease. You need to consult a doctor for physical examination. You will need proctoscopy (medical examination of the anal cavity with a thin t...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now