Q. Can I get my facial nerve repaired if gets damaged during mastoidectomy?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I am about to undergo a mastoidectomy next month, due to long term cholesteatoma (over five years). The surgery will entail removing a large amount of the mastoid bone. Of course, with this surgery comes the risk of damage through an incision of the facial nerve. This worries me a lot more than the pain of the operation and hearing loss (even though as of late I am pretty much deaf in my right ear and have been for quite a while now). But If I were to have my facial nerve damaged in this surgery is there chance of repair? Would it depend on the severity?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The risk of facial nerve injury even in revision mastoid surgeries is less than 10 %. However, if there is cholesteatoma sitting on the facial nerve or facial canal is dehiscent, there is more susceptibility to FN (facial nerve) damage. Is there any prior facial weakness. Meticulous dissection of cholesteatoma ideally should not damage facial.

Even if there is damage and it is recognized intraoperatively, it can be corrected by various means. So yes there are techniques to deal with FND (facial nerve damage) if it occurs but the best to ensure it is not injured is to identify it and carry out meticulous dissection of the disease and remove the disease or leave the matrix over the facial as situation demands.

| 

How to handle a schizophrenic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is suffering from auditory hallucination and 2 years ago she has been diagnosed to have schizophrenia (paranoid). Earlier, she regularly took medicine. But now she is not taking medicine because of side effects. She is unmarried and working in a private company. She does not fe...  Read Full »

Bell’s Palsy

Article Overview: Bell’s palsy, also known as facial palsy, is a condition that causes sudden and temporary weakness or paralysis of the facial muscles, which results in an inability to control the muscles on the affected side of the face. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Bell’s Palsy? Bell’s palsy, also known as facial palsy, is a condition that causes sudden and temporary weakness or paralysis of the facial muscles, which results in an inability to control the muscles on the affected side of the face. The affected side of the face droops or bec...  Read Article

I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my...  Read Full »