Q. Can I get my facial nerve repaired if gets damaged during mastoidectomy?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am about to undergo a mastoidectomy next month, due to long term cholesteatoma (over five years). The surgery will entail removing a large amount of the mastoid bone. Of course, with this surgery comes the risk of damage through an incision of the facial nerve. This worries me a lot more than the pain of the operation and hearing loss (even though as of late I am pretty much deaf in my right ear and have been for quite a while now). But If I were to have my facial nerve damaged in this surgery is there chance of repair? Would it depend on the severity?

Do you have a question on Facial Nerve Damage or Mastoidectomy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Tehmid

MS ENT., MBBS
Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

The risk of facial nerve injury even in revision mastoid surgeries is less than 10 %. However, if there is cholesteatoma sitting on the facial nerve or facial canal is dehiscent, there is more susceptibility to FN (facial nerve) damage. Is there any prior facial weakness. Meticulous dissection of cholesteatoma ideally should not damage facial.

Even if there is damage and it is recognized intraoperatively, it can be corrected by various means. So yes there are techniques to deal with FND (facial nerve damage) if it occurs but the best to ensure it is not injured is to identify it and carry out meticulous dissection of the disease and remove the disease or leave the matrix over the facial as situation demands.

Also Read Answers From: Facial Nerve Damage Mastoidectomy

I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are likely to have an acute labyrinthitis with acute inflammation of your right ear. If you had such attacks previously, then an examination and investigations of your concerned ear is a must to finalize the diagnosis for a proper mana...  Read Full »

Please help me understand the outcome of my brain tumor surgery.
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had CyberKnife surgery for a brain tumor. Today, I had my MRI again. I want to know the report. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Uphar Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI brain showed that the mass is pressing the fifth cranial nerve, which takes the sensations from the face to the brain. The good news is that the vital cavernous sinus is not compressed and hence the mass is resectable. Please send me the full image and the report ...  Read Full »

What can be done for adhesive otitis with SOM?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old, male. I am diagnosed with right adhesive otitis with left SOM. Already mastoidectomy was done in right ear nine years back and two myringotomies in right ear when I was 4 and 7 years of age. I have CT scan report, audiometry, impedance test results.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Can you upload audiometry report? What are the complaints now? Is there discharge or hearing deficit? Any pain or giddiness? Nose CT seems fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Ear shows mastoiditis. Have they done an ear under microscope examination? If...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now