Q. I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Dr. A K Srivastava

I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my left ear. I have had a tympanoplasty on both ears and a mastoidectomy on the left. I am currently on Omeprazole for GERD and Adderall for ADD. 

Dr. A K Srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand your concern.

• You are likely to have an acute labyrinthitis with acute inflammation of your right ear.
  • If you had such attacks previously, then an examination and investigations of your concerned ear is a must to finalize the diagnosis for a proper management. You should consult your ENT doctor.
  • At present, I suggest:
  1. Tablet Stugeron (Cinnarizine) 25 mg thrice daily.
  2. Adequate fluid orally.
  3. Cleaning of the ear to make it dry.
  4. Lastly, a detailed vestibulocochlear examination and investigations is a must.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Do either ear appear infected? I realize that the pictures are not that great. That said, does it appear that both eardrums are intact?

Dr. A K Srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• On reviewing the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a congestion in the ear drum. A congestion is indicative of an infection. You will require antibiotics as well, but that may be prescribed only after the culture of any debris in the ear.

| 

Is surgery the only option for my son's ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has an ear infection since last year. The doctors said there is water in the middle ear, and because of that, he is not able to listen to low pitch voices, like if someone speaks slowly with him. I have reports and all medicines that he has used so far, and I am attaching it wi...  Read Full »

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full »