Q. I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my left ear. I have had a tympanoplasty on both ears and a mastoidectomy on the left. I am currently on Omeprazole for GERD and Adderall for ADD. 

#

I understand your concern.

• You are likely to have an acute labyrinthitis with acute inflammation of your right ear.
  • If you had such attacks previously, then an examination and investigations of your concerned ear is a must to finalize the diagnosis for a proper management. You should consult your ENT doctor.
  • At present, I suggest:
  1. Tablet Stugeron (Cinnarizine) 25 mg thrice daily.
  2. Adequate fluid orally.
  3. Cleaning of the ear to make it dry.
  4. Lastly, a detailed vestibulocochlear examination and investigations is a must.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Do either ear appear infected? I realize that the pictures are not that great. That said, does it appear that both eardrums are intact?

#

• On reviewing the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a congestion in the ear drum. A congestion is indicative of an infection. You will require antibiotics as well, but that may be prescribed only after the culture of any debris in the ear.

|