Q. I am 18 weeks pregnant. I am tensed about low lying placenta. Kindly help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello,I am 28 years old and 18 weeks pregnant. Recently I have done Gravid Uterus - Obstetric Sonography and found the below result.

• Placenta is posterior, grade I, low lying - lower end is about 25 to 35 mm from internal OS.
  • Left uterine artery shows high resistance flow.

So, I wanted to know if there is any issue. What precautions should I take as I am doing routine work as housewife. I have also attached my sonography report. Please have a look and let me know what need to be done and what should be taken care of, as I am tensed.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This level 2 anomaly scan is absolutely normal for the foetus pertaining to its growth and absence of any congenital anomalies. 

The concern regarding the low lying placenta at 18-19 weeks of gestation is not alarming as by 32 -36 weeks the placenta tends to go up once the lower segment formation takes place over uterus. Low lying or placenta previa shall be considered then at 32-36 weeks if the distance is less than 25 mm from internal os.

High resistance flow in left uterine artery alone indicates a possible compression or hindrance in blood supply. There may be a subserosal fibroid or enlarged ovary probably which can cause external compression , but it is unlikely to affect the baby's growth as the other arterial flow is normal. At present this just needs to be followed up by a repeat uterine artery doppler after a month to check the same or increase in resistance flow.

Revert back to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online after a month --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your quick answer.

How can these problems be resolved?

#

• Unfortunately there is nothing which can be done for it as long as there is pregnancy.
  • There are possibilities that you may have developed gestational hypertension which is probably secondary to increased resistance but unlikely as the flow to uterus is maintained from the other artery. 
  • No diet or drug is advised at this juncture as baby is in utero. Hence, a focussed ultrasound or 3 dimensional imaging study may be done for uterine artery to look for any kinks or strictures secondary to external compressive forces. 
  • Hence, I suggested follow up monthly, but certainly before that you can get an ultrasound done.
  • The good part is that the fetal growth is not affected at all and there is no restriction in fetal growth at present.
  • Hence observation is advisable. You can continue your prenatal vitamins, iron and calcium as you have been taking daily and regularly. Keep yourself stress free and adequately hydrated.

For further follow up, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|