Q. Does an anomaly scan carry a risk of miscarriage?

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

I am second time pregnant and my first son is 11 months old. Now, I am 20 weeks pregnant and the reports of the 12 weeks scan and the quad marker are normal. I do not have a family history of any abnormality but, my 20 weeks scan shows some abnormality. There is some thickness in the baby's intestine and a small mark in the heart. We were asked to do an anomaly scan or NIPT again. Does the anomaly scan carry a miscarriage risk? Could you confirm if any other test is required? Please see the attached scan report.

#

I went through your query. Please attach your reports again as they were not very clear.

• The main purpose of the anomaly scan is to check that the baby is developing normally.
  • If the doctors suspect that your baby has a heart problem, you will be asked to come in for a fetal echo scan. The fetal echo scan will take a detailed look at your baby's heart.
  • Most problems that need repeat scanning are not serious. About 15 per cent of the scans will be done again for different reasons.

Feel free to follow up any time with the reports.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Hello doctor,

Thanks for replying. They did not mention any heart problem, only a mark. They were more concerned about the thickness of the intestine. They wanted to do an anomaly scan for a chromosome. Except that the growth and organ developments are normal.

#

• Generally, the anomaly scan is done at 20 weeks. It will find the abnormal organ development. In case anything suspicious is found, then you will be advised to go for a re-scan at the 23rd week to rule out the same.
  • The other method to find out if there are any chromosomal abnormalities is by doing an amniotic fluid analysis.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|