Q. I have fever, shivering, and I sweat a lot and my COVID test is negative. What else could it be?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2021

I have a fever without temperature.

I have done a rapid test for COVID-19, and I am negative. What should I do?

#

I went through your symptoms.

You have a fever but no temperature. Do you mean when you check on the thermometer you do not get more temperature? How much was the maximum temperature that you got on the thermometer? What other symptoms do you have like cold, running nose, sore throat, cough, body ache, nausea, vomiting, burning urination? Since how many days you have a fever? Anyone else in your family had COVID recently? Or have you come in contact with any such known person? Have you done any other blood reports? If yes, please share all available reports.

Kindly get back with the above details for further discussion and management.

Take care.

I have shivering from cold, and any time I have a pulse in my shoulder. I sweat a lot.

#

Since how long do you have these symptoms? What all medications have you taken so far? Any other symptoms? Are any other laboratory reports done apart from the COVID test? How much is the temperature when you have a fever? Do you have a cough, sore throat, body ache, tiredness?

I had my last fever one week ago. The maximum temperature was 36.9 grade. I had T4 done for thyroid. I had a last rapid test done on Monday.

#

I have seen all your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Basically, your symptoms that you have described looks like you had viral fever.

It could be any virus causing acute febrile illness in you.

Since you had your last fever a week ago and do not have any active symptoms at present, and you have already a negative report of COVID.

What you need to do is just conservative management that includes plenty of water or fluid intake, steam inhalation, a multivitamin capsule containing zinc. (Cap Becosule-Z or any other available brand) Vitamin C tablet 500 mg both once a day. If you get any other fever episode, then tablet Paracetamol 650 mg (as and when required).

I would suggest repeating the blood report - CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein) and send me the reports just to make sure things are fine with you.

Take rest.

Suppose you have a pulse oximeter to check your oxygen saturation at home. Better to remain isolated for few days so that you do not infect your family members.

I do not think so you have to worry about it. You will be fine soon.

For any further information or clarification, please feel free to contact me again.

Take care.

|