Q. My husband has extreme shivering and profuse sweating at night. Should we take him to the ER?

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
Published on Mar 26, 2017

My husband was in a below-freezing weather all weekend, day and night, for military training. Nine of the men he was with went to the hospital for various cold weather injuries. Since coming home, he has been suffering from what seems like a cold in the daytime, but at night, he has extreme shivering and profuse sweating. The whole bed shakes, he has been having this for two nights in a row. Multiple sheets, blankets, and towels get soaked in his sweat. He does not have a fever during this, and his body temperature is a bit low every time we check. His daytime symptoms consist of a sore throat, fatigue, aches, and congestion, but very rarely chills or sweating. He is currently taking steroid inhaler for lung scarring. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but should we take him to the ER today?

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

General Medicine HIV/AIDS Specialist Internal Medicine
#

• What you are describing sounds like the starting stages of a respiratory tract infection (RTI).
  • Viral respiratory tract infections, especially influenza, are more common during colder periods of the year and have a high incidence in military settings. Virus or bacterial organisms easily spread from one person to another, due to scores of individuals nearby and regular contact as well as travel.
  • Both bacterial and viral respiratory tract infections can cause symptoms which present like episodes of fever spells, without correlation with the body temperature.
  • It is also important to remember that not all methods or devices, used to measure temperature, are accurate and measurable. Fever is often only picked up using hospital devices used by trained professionals.
  • The symptoms of episodic shivering spells, painful muscles, and joints, tiredness or weakness, sore throat, etc. are all typical of respiratory tract infections. There are also other causes of these symptoms, but they are usually only explored once the most common cause has been excluded.
  • RTI can sometimes rapidly develop into severe pneumonia or bronchitis, and it is always better to consult earlier if one is concerned, which I believe you are.
  • I would recommend having him evaluated at urgent care.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »