Q. I have fever with cough and nausea. Why?

Dr. Nishant
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 19-year-old male. I do not have COVID, but I have been extremely sick for eight days. I have nausea, throwing up, fever, extreme amount of coughing, sore throat, and stomach. I have a bit of a phlegm buildup in my throat somewhere. When I got tested three or four days ago, and they prescribed me Promethazine and Ondansetron. Is there anything else that can be done?

#

I understand your concern. Looking at your symptoms, it is definitely a bacterial or a viral infection. I would advise you to get a COVID-19 RT-PCR analysis (swab test) again on the fifth day from when you tested it, as well as do a COVID-19 antigen test (blood test). Follow up with me once your test results are back.

Also, start tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily after meals, tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once in the morning before breakfast, tablet Ondem/Emset (Ondansetron) 4 mg whenever you feel nauseatic, and tablet Paracetamol 500 mg twice daily after meals.

Also, get a complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), C-reactive protein (CRP) and a chest x-ray PA (posteroanterior) view done. Do not worry, but there have been instances where the first COViD test was negative but the x-ray showed some patches and blood tests showed decreased WBCs (white blood cells), raised CRP (C-reactive protein), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) indicating a viral infection.

Isolate yourself from your family until the second swab test result comes.

Some home remedies are:

1. Strictly drink warm water only.

2. Have ORS (oral rehydration solution) solution with the water three to four times a day. If you cannot buy it, you can simply make it at home by adding 1 tablespoon sugar, and half a teaspoon salt to a glass full of water.

3. If you are not able to eat much, make something liquidy like porridge, or soups but let something enter your stomach so as to give you the required nutrients. Also, take steam twice a day when you do not have fever.

Follow up as soon as your investigation reports come.

|