Q. There is continuous fever after ureteric stent removal. Why?

Dr. Shahil Khant

My father had ureteric stent removal before one month. He had fever 101 F, pus cell 100 or more than that since month fever comes every week. Urine culture and sensitivity done. All antibiotics resistant except Nitrofurantoin. Fever episode is not subsiding in spite of taking antipyretics. What to do?

#

I have seen all reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per reports, he is still having a urine infection. What is his present creatinine? Since how long is he taking Nitrofurantoin? His DTPA shows only left kidney is functioning. The plan would be to finish this course of antibiotics properly for 14 days. If fever is not under control, then we need to give him injection according to urine sensitivity report. Do repeat urine culture and sensitivity after three days of finishing antibiotics course to check infection is gone or not.

In some reports, it is given that his right kidney is small and stone in right kidney. This may be the source of persistent infection in spite of antibiotics. If fever is not under control at all after taking all antibiotics, then it is better to remove the right kidney as there is no function. Anyhow and it is likely source of persistent infection.

|