Fifth Metatarsal Fracture

Based on the foot X-ray, is my foot fractured?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a fall from a stool almost eight to nine days ago. Since then, I had a foot swelling on the right leg. As I could not get an x-ray at that point of time, it was not diagnosed. I considered it as a sprain and used some natural oil massages and scrape bandage for a while. So, the swel...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a fracture of the base of 5th metatarsal bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not much displaced and so, it can be managed nonoperatively. You will either require a plaster cast or you can wear an Aircast boot. Apply ice packs for now two t...  Read Full »

Should I consult a doctor for swelling and pain in knuckles and fingers after an injury?

Query: Hello doctor, A couple of days ago, I punched a brick wall. After the punch, I felt a very sharp pain in my entire hand, like a throbbing pain. About 30 minutes after, my hand was still hurting and when I would try to make a fist, my pinky and ring finger would not go all the way. My pinky also fel...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your hand. I think the bruise you mentioned could be because of any bony injury or just soft tissue injury. But it would be worth to get an x-ray of the hand to rule out a fracture. The mechanism of injury you mentioned might cause something calle...  Read Full »

What is the probable function of the little toe?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad met with an accident 40 days back. His little toe was fractured, but it remains in the same position as before. The doctor suggested him to take Calcium tablets, in order to retain the toe back to normal, for a period of three months. He had undergone common dressings, but no surg...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your dad's clinical history and the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The x-ray shows fracture malunion with slight malrotation of the fifth toe. It has been almost more than a month since the injury. Hence, kindly send me a clinic...  Read Full »

How is the fracture of fifth metatarsal bone treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I twisted my leg and got an x-ray done. The report showed fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal bone. How to proceed with the treatment? Thank you in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your injury. I had looked at the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you seem to be having a pseudo-Jones fracture. Mostly, this fracture can heal without any surgical intervention. You will have to use either a walking cast or ...  Read Full »

What will happen if a Jones fracture is left untreated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. I broke it for the first time last year and again this year. At this stage, it is showing a nonunion, but I can easily bear weight and there is no pain or swelling. I have no plans to play sports or go running in the future. I was wonderin...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question, and it seems that your fracture is not healing well. There are a few points which I want you to know: The first and the fifth metatarsal are actually the weight-bearing bones in the foot. So, proper union of any fracture involving ...  Read Full »