Q. How to correct little toe fracture?

Answered by
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

Hi doctor,

My dad met with an accident 40 days back. His little toe was fractured, but it remains in the same position as before. The doctor suggested him to take Calcium tablets, in order to retain the toe back to normal, for a period of three months. He had undergone common dressings, but no surgery. I did not follow what the doctor said. I am confused. Kindly guide.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your dad's clinical history and the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The x-ray shows fracture malunion with slight malrotation of the fifth toe.

It has been almost more than a month since the injury. Hence, kindly send me a clinical picture of the injured toe. From which I will be able to have a clear idea regarding the rotated toe and guide you accordingly.

Please attach a recent x-ray of the injured toe in anteroposterior (AP) projection as well as in oblique view, by which I can check the fracture union status of the injured toe.

Investigations to be done:

1. X-ray of the foot (AP and oblique views).
2. Clinical picture of the involved foot.

Thank you doctor,

I have sent you the recent x-ray and few pictures of the injured toe. Because of cracks present on his skin, he underwent general dressing along with massage of his toe. He is using tablet Gemcal. Is it better to wait? Or should he undergo any treatment for it? Waiting for a positive response. Kindly suggest.


Hello,Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I had a look at the x-ray and the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your father. I do not contend with the fracture reduction as well as the position of it.

I would like to mention a few points in relation to the toe. Since it is the last toe, it does not play any important role in weight bearing. Though it is a valgus reduction, there is no significant malrotation.

Since 40 days has passed from the day of injury, if we try to correct the alignment now, it can only be done surgically using K-wire (kirschner). Functionally, a malreduction should not cause any major problem with respect to his age and if he is not much into walking.

Generally, there will be a slight swelling after ankle and foot fractures. They will gradually heal in a few days. In order to get a clear idea and check for any mobility at the fracture site, I would like you to get some stress x-rays. From the x-ray, I can check whether the fracture has consolidated or not.

It is advisable to go with reduction and fixation if there is any mobility at the fracture site. When in stress, if there is no mobility present at the injured site then it is better to start off with reduction followed by gentle mobilization using well-cushioned shoes or pneumatic boot.

In order to prevent stiffness of joints, do hot water fomentation two to three times a day. To have a healthy bone metabolism, include plenty of calcium and vitamin D containing diet.

The Probable causes:

Injury 40 days ago.

Investigations to be done:

Stress x-rays to look for abnormal mobility at fracture site.

Treatment plan:

Depends upon the stress x- ray.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I manage constipation with hard stools and frequent urination?

.. with Iron and Calcium supplements. Take fiber rich diet and plenty of fluids. Take laxatives and cranberry juice for constipation and bladder symptoms. You can have an active bladder and chronic constipation. Get a urine examination, thyroid profi...   Read full

My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius.I would like to know if my son has received proper treatment.

It is true that fractures remodel in children very well and that they also unite very fast ...   Read full

Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency ... My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is it necessary to be in sling always for an arm fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 year old son fell down in play area and got his left arm fractured in the region of ulna and radius. We went to the emergency room immediately and the doctors did alignment and put him on cast and sling. Can you please check the x-ray and confirm the alignment? Since he is 4 years o...  Read Full »

Why does my wife have severe back pain after normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy last month, which was a normal delivery. Whenever she moves, the muscles on the upper right ribs below the breast gets pulled. Also, she has a severe lower back ache, which is unbearable. Can you please suggest some medicines for it? For now, we are puttin...  Read Full »

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.