Q. Why am I having sharp and shooting pain in finger?

Dr. Hariharan V

I am having a sharp, shooting pain in my middle finger. It is uninjured and there is no swelling, bruising, or discoloration. The pain is not constant. It comes when I press on something with that finger (it is my right middle finger), when I grip something at an uneven angle, and when pressure is applied to that finger. The pain is from the middle part of the finger to the tip. When the pain comes, its 10/10 on the pain scale- horrific. It takes 10 minutes to subside.

Do you have a question on Fingertips Pain or Peripheral Vascular Disease?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Hariharan V

MBBS., MD., D DIAB
Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist

There are a few possibilities based on your symptoms.

1. Sensory neuralgia- Due to diabetes. This is weakening of nerves due to diabetic neuropathy.

2. Sensory neuralgia due to cervical spondylosis- The nerves (electrical wires) to hand start from the spinal cord in the back side of the neck. If you have some neck problem, it may lead to this type of pain. To confirm it please tilt your head upwards and keep still for 30 seconds, if you feel pain in the back side of your neck or head, then you may have a neck disc problem.

3. Peripheral vascular disease due to diabetes- Diabetes can affect arteries (blood vessels carrying pure blood to hands). The arteries may be constricted leading to these symptoms

What to do?

1. Please check whether you have neck pain on bending your neck backward, if you get pain in the neck, then you may have a cervical disc problem. Various exercises for cervical spondylosis are available online. Please do that for 10 days. If symptoms are not relieved, consult an orthopedician.

2. If no pain in the neck, it may be due to diabetic neuropathy. See whether your blood sugar is under control. Start Multivitamin like Methylcobalamin containing tablets one in the morning along with other tablets. If the pain gets relieved, then you can continue to take that tablet regularly.

3. If the symptoms do not subside even after taking this tablet then please visit a radiologist for upper limb arterial doppler to check the arteries.

Why do I have intense pain when my hands swell?
Query: Hello doctor, I can notice some dots in vision when I heat up fast. My hands shake when I go into attack. I have blue fingers in cold; red swollen fingers and toes when it is hot outside also. I have intense pain everywhere when my hands are swollen. Please help.  Read Full >>
Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon, in which the finger tips turn blue on exposure to cold. Subsequently, when the hands are warmed they turn white, then red and then normal. This could be a benign condition, especially in young ladies. Sometimes, it may...  Read Full

Do I have peripheral artery disease?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have never smoked. I am not overweight and I do not have diabetes. I have been having some left leg issues. It started six months back. I started limping because my left calf, ankle and groin were hurting. My emergency Doppler venous ultrasound was clear. I ha...  Read Full >>
Dr. Raghu
Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, I understand that the first time you had a problem with your left leg was due to a sprain (talofibular ligament) around the ankle and it got resolved. I suspect the same problem or something similar is causing you the pain again. It is highly ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now