Q. I have pain in my fingers, palm, and wrist after working on the laptop from home. Please help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

I am an IT professional, presently working from home for 8-10 hours a day. Six days back my laptop keyboard got packed up. Next three days, I worked with an external keyboard and mouse while sitting on the bed instead of a table and chair. Though I felt strain and discomfort, I somehow continued with it. I felt sharp and dull pains all over the fingers, finger joints, wrist, etc., on the third night. I somehow slept after hot and cold fomentation and had an oral painkiller. From the next day, I am taking complete rest, doing nothing with right-hand fingers. It is almost three days, and still, there is a dull and sharp pain here and there over my right hand. There is no numbness or tingling sensation ever. Also, there is a feeling of discomfort and a sort of weakness in the right hand. Please advise medicine or ointment or exercise. Thank you.

#

Where is the exact location of pain? Is it at wrist or elbow? Is it at shoulder joint too? Are you suffering from hypothyroidism or diabetes?

The possible causes are like,

1. Neuropraxia. 2. Carpal tunnel syndrome. 3. Hypocalcemia. 4. Hypokalemia. 5. Viral fever with myalgia. 6. Spondylosis with radiculopathy. 7. Pressure-induced numbness.

Use tablet Pregabalin 75 mg once a day for five days and tablet Zerodol MR (Aceclofenac 100 mg + Tizanidine 2 mg) twice a day for three days.

Kindly get serum calcium, blood sugar, thyroid profile, and nerve conduction study. If symptoms not improved, then please consult with your physician. He will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

The location of the pain is over the fingers, palm, wrist, elbow, and rarely shoulder (right hand). I am not suffering from hypothyroidism or diabetes.

#

Dear, probably this is a muscular pain due to abnormal position during work. It may take time to resolve, so please continue the above medication for three days. If symptoms did not improve, please post me a question or consult a physician nearby. He will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

|