Fistula is the abnormal connection between two organs or vessels, which are otherwise not connected. It can develop between the anal canal and the perianal skin, vagina and bladder or urethra, or two parts of the intestine.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What does watery and foul-smelling vaginal discharge signify?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to If there were few more facts about your aunt regarding the indication for uterus removal, any follow-ups, diabetic status, her sexual life, etc., would have been helpful. At the age of 31 years, the most probable cause is an infection. I put forth the possibilities and t...  Read Full »

CKD patient with high phosphorus content. Is dialysis required now?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from CKD for the past one year. His creatinine level is 11.05, urea is 144 and uric acid is 5.10. He has no swelling or breathlessness, but his phosphorus content is high 5.80. We have not started the dialysis at the moment. Could you please guide the right wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to After seeing all the details and your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to ask few questions. What is his age? How is his appetite? Does he feel nauseated or vomit? Is he losing weight and feels generally unwell? With...  Read Full »

How to treat the enterovesical fistula formed due to Crohn's disease?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has Crohn's disease and a bladder fistula is formed from it. His bowel is tunneling into the bladder. What is the surgery done for this problem? Does it require a bag as it involves the bowel? Can the bladder be sewed? Will it cause damage to the bladder? How long a urinary ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Erioli Braholli

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Enterovesical fistula formed due to Crohn's disease is treated therapeutically with the help of antibiotics, steroids, and cytostatics. Catheters are used for urinary drainage and parenteral feeding. This is the preferred way of treatment. Surgical treatment is preferre...  Read Full »

I have continuous leakage of urine. Please tell me what is causing this.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Furosemide (Lasix) for swollen legs prescribed by PCP 20 milligrams daily as needed since last year. This was during a followup following a hospitalization for swollen legs due to feet infection. The hospital doctor said that the swelling would go down in time, but w...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Relax and do not worry. I do not think the problem is due to Furosemide. You may be suffering from severe form of stress urinary incontinence which is very common at this age. The cause and severity of stress incontinence are to be found out. I suggest you see a uro...  Read Full »

Urinary incontinence,the well known complications of forceps delivery

Query: Hi doctor, Nine months ago, my wife delivered a baby boy. It was a forceps delivery at the eleventh hour after observing for nearly 20 hours for normal delivery. The doctors did not inform us it will be a forceps delivery till last minute. Now, the baby is normal. But, my wife is facing urine incon...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through your query. I totally understand the problem. It is not a very frequent but a well known complication of forceps. I am really sorry to know your wife is suffering from urinary incontinence. I know it is an agonizing problem. Urinary incontinence is of t...  Read Full »

I had my tooth extracted six months back and have leaky gums and ulcers. Can you advise on what this might be?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my tooth extracted six months back. Continued to have swelling and an exostosis that sometimes ulcerated near the above tooth and what I think are gum leakage and increased saliva. My dentist saw nothing wrong, so I went to a periodontist who, through a CBCT and bite test, found tha...  Read Full »

Dr. Achanta Krishna Swaroop

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Did these issues start right after the extraction of the tooth? The continued ulcerations of soft tissue you are facing in and around that area indicate that it might be a post-operative complication in oral healing. The laboratory test that...  Read Full »

What is causing fluid movement in my cheek and how to treat it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-years-old female. My weight is 105 pounds, and my height is 5.4 feet. I underwent jaw surgery precisely two months before, and I am under treatment for Hashimoto's disease. Whenever I puff my cheek, I can feel some air or fluid moving in the cheek area into my left eye. I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjit Peter

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Based on your clinical history and symptoms, you seem to have developed an oro-antral fistula, which is a communication between your oral cavity and left maxillary sinus. This usually happens through the extraction of a tooth in the premolar or molar region. I sugges...  Read Full »

My mother has a carotid-cavernous fistula. Can you please explain the surgical treatment options for this condition?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother has a carotid-cavernous fistula.1. Can we cure this condition through surgery? 2. What are the risks of the surgery?Kindly help.Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Generally, carotid-cavernous fistula (CCF) is two types: direct carotid-cavernous fistula and dural carotid-cavernous fistula. Direct carotid-cavernous fistula requires intervention as complications are more common and...  Read Full »

Why do I have fecal matter coming out of my vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 88 yrs old. I have a rectal or vaginal fissure, I guess. The fecal matter comes out of my vagina. Sometimes, I have a regular movement but still have a liquid form from the vagina. I do not want surgery. What can I expect for the short term of life? I probably have left if I do no...  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is very sad to know about your condition. I can understand how, at the age of 88 years, how you feel and suffer. But foremost, you need to get examined by your gynecologist. If it is a rectovaginal fistula, the only way to provide relief is by a minor surgery ca...  Read Full »

Noticed fluid leak from hernial incision. Should I visit my doctor immediately?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister underwent hernia surgery in her right lower abdomen four months back. As she was having slight pain and fever at that time, the doctor suspected some infection there. When the surgery was done, her infection was mild but they did not place a mesh there. Her surgery went fine....  Read Full »

Dr. Vasavada Bhavin Bhupendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your sister needs a personal examination. Generally, it should be healed by now. But sometimes it takes some time. Please mention the amount of fluid leaked out. If it is a small amount, then I suggest you wait for a month. If it does not heal, then do a CT (compute...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.