Q. Should I be concerned about the small yellow lump next to my fistulotomy site?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I had a fistulotomy four days ago, and I have noticed a small yellow lump next to the site. What does this indicate? Should I be concerned?

Kindly help.

#

I have seen both of your pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It looks like a normal healing surgical wound.

Additionally, I hope you are following the advice regarding sitz bath properly. Keeping the area clean is very important for proper healing. Also, you should remove the hair in that area.

This opinion is based entirely on these two pictures, and it is in no way comparable to a formal examination in a surgeon's office. So, if you have any doubts or increasing pain or pus discharge, it is advisable to see your surgeon without delay.

I hope it helps.

Thank you for the reply.

It is the fifth day after fistulotomy, and there is still some pus drainage. Is it normal, or should I be concerned? Also, what is the yellow present on the skin?

Kindly help.

#

The yellow thing looks like a bit of slough (necrotic tissue) that should come out with meticulous hygiene. But drainage of frank pus on the fifth day after surgery is unusual and a little worrying. Drainage of pus depends on the actual course of the fistula tract. This is assessed before the surgery. If it was a complex fistula, it could have an additional undrained pus pocket. In that case, it needs to be addressed.

It would be better to discuss it with the operating surgeon, who would be in a better position to confirm whether it is pus or fecal matter, and explain the reason for the pus.

Take care and regards.

|