Q. Will anal fistula heal on its own?

Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Anal Fistula or Constipation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Will anal fistula heal on its own?

I was diagnosed with fistula-in-ano before eight years. I just consulted multiple physicians and surgeons. They all said to wait and watch and put me on antibiotics. Two years later, my fistula has closed on its own and there is no pus discharge or abscess forming. The healing was fast and since then I have no problem at all. I do get some itching problem in the opening area when I do not follow a proper diet and eat any junk food or spicy food. If I sit for a long time in the same position, then I can feel some pain in the same area, but there is no pus or abscess. But, there is a scar in the area where the fistula opening was and when I touch it, it feels different than that of the other skin area. Can I consider this as my fistula has healed on its own? Is there any other problem that I should consider? What are the other precautions I have to take in order to make the area feel more comfortable? Is there any chance that the fistula can spread to other parts internally?