Flexibility

Can I gain flexibility in the body at 19 years of age?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old girl and I am very inflexible. I feel like an 80-year-old grandmother because of this reason. I know some boys and they are more flexible than me. I feel very ashamed of myself. I want to increase my flexibility. But even beginner-level exercise are found hard for me. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about flexibility. You can gain flexibility when you go for a good training methodology. Start your training with walking and slowly progress yourself by doing high-intensity workouts. You might need a good foam roller session at the end of the workout. You...  Read Full »

I have been doing stretching exercise for four years, but I am not flexible. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, How flexible should a normal person be? I have been stretching two times a week for four years and I have not improved at all. In fact, I have become worse. I do winter guard and we stretch for about 25 minutes before practice. Our show this year is called meditation and we all have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kahlil Subramanian

Yoga Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the outset, one’s flexibility should decrease muscle soreness, prevent joint and muscle injuries, improve performance and range of motion after his/her normal physical activities. It is not important to touching the foot on the head. But you supposed to perf...  Read Full »

Why we lose flexibility in our 20s and 30s and how to get it back?

Query: Hello doctor, Why we lose flexibility in our 20s and 30s and how to keep it or get it back? 1. What is peak flexibility age? At what age do we start losing flexibility? Is it related to growth spurts in puberty? 2. What is a good measure of flexibility or does it depend on the individual? 3. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Loss of flexibility and degeneration band ageing go hand in hand. Growth spurts loss of flexibility is due to mismatch in the rate of bone and muscle length growth. Peak fitness is in late teens and early third decades. Ability to squat, touch the tips of fingers on the...  Read Full »

How can I increase my flexibility?

Query: Hello doctor, 3 to 4 years ago, I remember myself being very flexible, but now I am not. I play hockey five days a week and I am very active. Legs are not flexible and suffer from cramp a lot. Similarly, my lower back always seems to have knots and always aches. I also suffer from shin splints a lo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are playing a very active game that requires stamina as well as muscle strength. You need to check your thyroid profile, calcium level, 25 (OH) vitamin D level, serum electrolytes, etc., to comment further. If no specific cause is found, then you should take a high ...  Read Full »