Q. Is Flucloxacillin a good drug for tooth abscess?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 28, 2019

Will Flucloxacillin help in tooth abscess?

#

1. Flucloxacillin and Amoxicillin are all the drugs falling under the Penicillin group, and basically, these are all the antibiotics which fight against bacterial infection.

2. Metronidazole is again an antibiotic on its own.

3. Yes, these medications will help to reduce the infection in tooth abscess along with active dental treatment.

4. Only with the antibiotics and pain killers, there is no dental infection which could be completely cured.

5. If you are going to self medicate yourself, please drop the plan. Visit your nearby dentist to know how infected the abscess is and then get it sorted out first with thorough clinical examination and an X-ray.

6. Please note that any antibiotics should be taken for a course of five to seven days, not less, and not more.

If you have any other doubts, please write again.

Can Ciprofloxacin be taken for a dental abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibi...  Read Full »

My 4 months old baby has red rashes over his neck and body. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My son has rashes all over his neck and body. His neck is very red and wet. I am attaching a photo of his rashes. The doctor said he has eczema, and he suggested to use Daktacort, Aveeno cream, and Flucloxacillin, but it is not helping. It is getting worse. Please help.  Read Full »

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »