Q. Can I take Flucloxacillin for pain after wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

I have just had a wisdom tooth removed a few days ago and the pain is still present but manageable. The pain has also spread a little around the jaw and up my face slightly which makes me think I have an infection. I am doing saline rinses a few times a day. My question is I have some Flucloxacillin at home. I am wondering if that would help as I think I had Amoxicillin last time. I was allergic to Aspirin when I was very young but have taken Ibuprofen since and been fine. Do you think Flucloxacillin will help and be fine to take?

#

After third molar surgery, the swelling in jaw bone is common, and cure after 3 to 4 days. It is not due to infection but it is due to body defense reaction. So do not worry about this and wait at least four days after extraction. Amoxicillin is a most popular prescribed medicine by the dentist after extraction. So I suggest you take medicine as advised by your dentist. If you want to change any medication you should take permission from your dental surgeon.

|