Q. Is it correct to take Flucloxacillin for a boil?

Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2021

I have a pimple on the back of my neck. It has grown and raised to the surface. It remains large and red for few weeks without any pus coming from it. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed Flucloxacillin 500 mg for a week. Now it has been a week and I did not notice any difference in my pimple or cyst. I have attached a picture. Can I have a topical application? Kindly go through it and advise.

#

Antibiotics have a specific course ranging from 7 to 14 days. Kindly be patient and complete taking your full course as suggested by your physician. For topical application, you can use an antibiotic cream over the infected areas. Do not touch or prick your skin with bare hands as it increases the chances of aggravating your infection. It takes some time for a boil to go away, But if you notice any increase in size or pain, or fever, then you need to check it immediately.

|