Q. Is it good to use Fluocinonide on the scalp?

Dr. Puneet Agarwal

Before three weeks, I used Fluocinonide on my scalp for a day for treating an allergic reaction due to tea tree oil. The Fluocinonide was prescribed for two weeks. But I used it for a day for having scalp sensitivity. The Fluocinonide ended up leaving me with scalp burn symptoms when I applied it to my scalp. I have these symptoms for about three weeks now.

It helped me in reducing intense itching. I have tried doing home remedies by using turmeric and milk for disinfecting it. I would like to know whether I need medication to get cured from scalp burn. I have fifteen tablets of Prednisone 20 mg in my home. If I do not have any subside, please say whether can I take Prednisone and mention the number of tablets to be taken at a time. I do not think whether I can use a topical pharmaceutical medicine on my scalp as I have a sensitive scalp. Thank you and help me.

#

The Fluocinonide, that you applied, might have caused sensitivity on the scalp as your scalp shows allergic reactions. I would suggest you mix it with some hair oil which suits your scalp and apply it. This may not cause sensitivity. I have not seen your scalp and so I cannot confirm the diagnosis that you have an allergic reaction. You can take tablet Prednisolone under the guidance of a doctor. Try to apply Fluocinonide with oil and apply oil separately. I think it can help you to get relief.

I appreciate your advice. I will try applying with oil. I will try to take Prednisolone under the guidance of a doctor. I agree with your diagnosis as I had the same symptoms due to tea tree oil. It makes perfect sense. Thank you.

#

Happy to help you. Thank you.

|