Q. Is it fine to take Prednisone and Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis?

I have been itching throughout my body, especially after eating, for about two years. I noticed fatigue and shortness of breath about 18 months ago. I stopped smoking before seven years. I stopped drinking before a year as my upper abdominal area started paining after drinking. Before five months, I had undergone treatment. But, my liver had enlarged and I had antimitochondrial antibody. So, my doctor prescribed Ursodiol and referred me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist ordered a biopsy and he said that it is unremarkable. He suggested me to stop taking Ursodiol and come back for another biopsy in six months. I did not go again to the doctor, because I have severe health issues. My other health issues are as follows: Less muscle strength and stamina during exercise, light-colored stools, gained 30 lbs in the last year with the same diet, trouble in sleeping, reading, concentrating, memory, changes in body temperature, fever, higher pulse of 80-90, acne on back, frequent urination, cellulite on butt and legs. I took Creon or Pancreatin and it reduces tingling or itching in legs. I got AMA, ASMA, ANA, blood panel and liver panel done. I lead to believe that my issues could be an irregular form of autoimmune hepatitis and was prescribed Prednisone and Azathioprine. Please suggest me what should I do now. Also, a primary care physician is willing to give me corticosteroid treatment with this. Please help.

Do you have a question on Hepatitis or Ana Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP., MD (INTERNAL MEDICINE) RESIDENCY COMPLETION., DIPLOMATE IN AMERICAN BOARD OF

Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few important facts I would want you to consider.

• We have to rule out other forms of hepatitis like viral hepatitis, amyloid or iron deposition, NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) and alcoholic liver disease.
  • All three markers are non-specific; anti-LMK (anti-liver kidney microsomal antibody) may add to the diagnosis and also have to take a typical picture on the imaging for the PBC (primary biliary cholangitis).
  • I am not sure what were the results of your ultrasound or CT of the abdomen. I would like to see the result, please send the copy.
  • For AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) your antibodies should be more markedly positive, it appears a little unlikely. You may have false positive AMA and anti-SMA.
  • Azathioprine is a toxic medication and should not be taken if you are not absolutely certain about the diagnosis. It is usually given by a specialist but a primary care physician can prescribe as well.
  • If Prednisone is the treatment of choice you would have to take it for life. Again, it is not a fun medication to take unless indicated.
  • My suggestion would be to get a second opinion with another gastroenterologist in person.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/search/online-doctors-directory/internal-medicine-physician

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?
Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full »

What does borderline positive c-ANCA levels indicate?
Query: Hello doctor, My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: C-ANCA (Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) positivity indicates Wegener's Granulomatosis. In this condition, there is involvement of upper and lower respiratory tract and kidneys. Most common diagnosis, while kidneys a...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now