Q. My allergy report taken for chronic cold reveals high IgE level. Is this a serious issue?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I have been suffering from cold for the last three years. I consulted an Ayurvedic doctor, and she advised me an allergy test and CBC, and the report was somewhat not good. My IgE result is 1157.00, and it should be below 64. Is there any serious problem?

#

I have gone through your query regarding your cold for three years. As you had asked about allergy, here I would like to say that allergic cold has three cardinal features (watery nasal discharge, bouts of sneezing, and nasal obstruction of both side nasal cavity). Second, allergic cold is always precipitated by some triggers like dust, the smell of perfumes, sudden change of temperature, etc. Your diagnosis is made on a single investigation, so if you are having above cardinal symptoms, and there is some trigger to aggravate the cold, then only consider it as an allergic cold.

There are few other nasal diseases which present as cold these are:

1. Sinusitis.

2. Grossly deviated nasal septum.

3. Nasal polyp.

4. Rhinitis with turbinate hypertrophy.

There are possibility that you may be having any of above disease and these may be easily ruled out by thorough examination by an ENT doctor, and there may be need of clinical co-relation of following basic investigations.

1. CT (computerized tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses.

2. Culture and sensitivity of nasal swab.

So my advice is that you should consult an ENT doctor for examination and relevant investigations to find out the cause of your chronic cold and accordingly that may be managed.

| 

I had an allergy blood test and my specific allergy numbers range from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got results back from an allergy blood test. My specific allergy numbers ranged from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. My total IgE is 241 IU/mL. Does this total number indicate anything? Is the number high or low?  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for anaphylaxis.

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I was bitten by red ant. Within 5 minutes I was collapsed and immediately rushed to the hospital. My BP was low at 80/60 mmHg. It was detected as anaphylaxis. I hereby attaching the treatment sheet for your reference. Six months ago, my 2 year old son expired due to unknown ins...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get latex allergy when using yoga mat made of rubber material?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. Currently, I have a dust allergy. Sometimes, I have a sinus problem. Can I develop latex allergy if I use yoga mat made up of natural rubber material?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»