iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)igeWhat does elevated IgE level indicate?

My allergy report taken for chronic cold reveals high IgE level. Is this a serious issue?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At September 14, 2020
Reviewed AtSeptember 16, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been suffering from cold for the last three years. I consulted an Ayurvedic doctor, and she advised me an allergy test and CBC, and the report was somewhat not good. My IgE result is 1157.00, and it should be below 64. Is there any serious problem?

I have gone through your query regarding your cold for three years. As you had asked about allergy, here I would like to say that allergic cold has three cardinal features (watery nasal discharge, bouts of sneezing, and nasal obstruction of both side nasal cavity). Second, allergic cold is always precipitated by some triggers like dust, the smell of perfumes, sudden change of temperature, etc. Your diagnosis is made on a single investigation, so if you are having above cardinal symptoms, and there is some trigger to aggravate the cold, then only consider it as an allergic cold. There are few other nasal diseases which present as cold these are: 1. Sinusitis. 2. Grossly deviated nasal septum. 3. Nasal polyp. 4. Rhinitis with turbinate hypertrophy. There are possibility that you may be having any of above disease and these may be easily ruled out by thorough examination by an ENT doctor, and there may be need of clinical co-relation of following basic investigations. 1. CT (computerized tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses. 2. Culture and sensitivity of nasal swab. So my advice is that you should consult an ENT doctor for examination and relevant investigations to find out the cause of your chronic cold and accordingly that may be managed. Presently, prescription nasal spray for allergies are available which are effective in relieving nasal congestion with minimal side effects.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava
Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

igeallergic sinusitis

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy