Q. Why does Fluoxetine cause insignificant insomnia?

Answered by Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Fluoxetine or Sleep Disturbances? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Why does Fluoxetine cause insignificant insomnia?

I am a medical graduate having trouble in sleeping. My psychiatrist told it is a panic disorder. First she gave me Escitalopram 10 mg for which I got akathisia, severe irritability and sleeplessness got aggravated. She later changed it to Fludac 20 mg in the morning at 8 AM. I did not have much inner restlessness or anxiety. As my final exams are approaching I felt this might be the cause. At night she put me on Clonazepam 0.25 mg and sleep was better. She tapered and this is the fourth week on Fluoxetine without Clonazepam. I do not have inner restlessness, but clouding of my consciousness and feel somewhat anxious because of lack of sleep. Can you please let me know why this Fluoxetine even though taken in the morning can cause insomnia at night? Shall I stop using this medication or can I switch to other medication? I guess that as I take Fluoxetine, I did not get sleep at night. I am a 28 year old male. My height is 5'10" and weight is 80 kg.