Q. I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Paroxetine or Increased Or Decreased Sleep? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine.  Please help.

I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, and pressure of studies has put me into depression. I was unusually weepy, and it was difficult to concentrate. I saw a doctor again, and he put me on Sertraline, explaining that the symptoms were actually due to depression. I was prescribed Paroxetine 25 mg CR by another psychiatrist. I did not take them and suffered from depression for six months. I was finally convinced by a counselor to take the drug. I started with Pexep CR 25 mg every night, and I took it for two months regularly. My depressive symptoms were greatly resolved, but my sleep cycle was not helped at all. A few day before, I read about chronotherapy for delayed phase sleep disorder and wanted to give it a try. I practiced the schedule for seven days and was sleeping fine but, I stopped taking Paroxetine after taking half tablets for seven days. From past 4 to 5 days, I have been experiencing vivid dreams with awakenings. While awake, my head seems to spin every 10 to 15 minutes for 4 to 5 seconds, which is disturbing. I am unable to concentrate on studies, which is putting me through anxiety and weepy phases. I know these are withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine, but I do not want to go back to that drug. I am fine, and the only issue I have is delayed sleep phase onset insomnia. Please help me with withdrawal symptoms and treatment for delayed sleep phase onset insomnia. Thank you.