Q. I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Dr. Noushif M
Published on May 27, 2018

I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Your symptoms are most likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease, that is, acid reflux from the stomach to the food pipe in the chest. This happens more in the night hours which results in cough and sleep disturbances. Occasionally, it can also result in bad taste especially of undigested food particles at the rear end of the tongue.

This needs consistent lifestyle and diet modifications as well as medicines.

1. Avoid heavy meals. Rather prefer small but short interval feeds.
  2. Avoid excess coffee, carbonated drinks, spicy foods and food items which can potentially relax the gastroesophageal sphincter.
  3. Avoid lying down or sleeping in a recumbent position immediately after having food. Rather have an early dinner and give an interval of one to two hours before you sleep.
  4. Keep the head end of the bed elevated (30 to 45 degrees) during sleep.

Regarding medicines, I suggest you add prokinetics like Domperidone (10 mg) or Ondansetron (8 mg) three times a day. You will need to continue this consistently for six weeks and see the response. I would like to have a look at your endoscopy report. You can send across the same when you review. Consider a review after four weeks.

Revert after four weeks to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I will try to find the report. All it said was dyspepsia and inflamed duodenum.

Dr. Noushif M

#

One of the two tablets I have mentioned will suffice.

All the best.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Would I find it OTC?

Dr. Noushif M

#

You can try getting medicines after consulting local GPs. Please consider sending the endoscopy, ultrasound and other reports too.

Is there anything herbal you would recommend? And, how safe is Domperidone?

Dr. Noushif M

#

No herbals, please. I would say a big 'no' to those.

Domperidone is a relatively safe drug. Take it for three weeks.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have uneasiness below collarbone and feel spasm during breathing. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a-32-year old female. Recently, I am feeling a sort of uneasiness below the collarbone and quite in the middle of the upper portion of the chest. Initially, I thought it was a spasm but I have it for more than two weeks and feels little heavy deep inside. Kindly let me know the proble...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely the cause of your symptoms is GERD that is gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. In simple terms, the acids from the stomach regurgitate to the esophagus. Before prescribing medicines I would like to know of any possible pregnancy and your last menstrual period...  Read Full

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full

Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Query: Hi doctor, Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you have explained are right. If you have acid reflux problem and in your case, it looks like there is too much of acid refluxing in your mouth from the stomach. This acid can erode your teeth making the enamel thin due to loss of minerals. I have common...  Read Full