Q. I have something on penis foreskin. Can this be folliculitis?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Jul 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

This is on my penis foreskin. What exactly is this? I had tried squeezing it. Is it folliculitis by any chance? Anything to worry and what is the treatment for this?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query and the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know a few more details.Is it painful? Did you recently shave or trim your pubic hair? Are you sexually active and did the lesion appear after any sexual contact?

On the image based on the appearance and location, it does appear as folliculitis, although a clinical examination would be necessary to confirm.Folliculitis usually resolves in a few days with just good hygiene although an antibiotic cream like Clindamycin will also help.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Not painful. I trimmed my pubic hair maybe 10 to 12 days back. And no I am not sexually active. Anything to worry? I am applying Neosporin as of now.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

That should mostly be the cause, although it is possible for it to happen without it also because of sweating. Neosporin can also be used, it is also equally effective.

This seems to be folliculitis right? Also, what are the white spots on the foreskin? Is that normal?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

Yes, this does seem to be folliculitis, and I am not able to make out any white spots or the foreskin region in the image that was sent along with the query.

Hi doctor. Please find an update after the applying neosporin. Is there an improvement from the previous image and how many days more will it take to resolve?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, I've gone through your query and the images, it appears that it has not subsided with just topical antibiotics.
It can happen when there is pus formation in the root of hair follicle.
I would advise you to visit your local urologist for a clinical examination, to confirm the diagnosis and to decide whether to continue topical antibiotics or whether you need oral antibiotics.
Hope this email, feel free to revert back with any questions.
Ok doctor thank you . Nothing to worry right ?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, it's nothing serious, but better to get it examined in person, as that would be the best way to resolve your symptoms.
Hope this helps, feel free to revert back with any questions.
Hi doctor I did a stupid thing and as I was frustrated , I squeezed it with my nails and this happened . Can't visit a doctor now as I'm travelling . Should I just let it be as it is and wait for it to go by itself ?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, from the pictures it looks like you have burst the collection. It has now become an ulcer.
Did any pus drain from it when you squeezed it?
Is it painful to touch or when the penis becomes erect?
The ulcer will heal, but it will take at least a week to become fully healed.
Till then I would suggest you to maintain good hygiene and continue antibiotic ointment.
Yes some pus and blood drained .Not painful when it becomes erect put slightly painful/burns when I touch the area . Will continue the neosporin and maintain hygiene . Should I put a bandage over it?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, yes continue Neosporin and maintain good hygiene, applying a bandage won't help to heal faster.
Wearing clean loose fitting underwear will help.
Hi doctor just an update from my side. Have applied neosporin and kept it hygienic, the wound seems to have healed a bit and does not pain if I touch. Will the rest of the issue resolve by itself over time by applying neosporin? Thanks . Please have a look at the latest image

This is the latest image

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, yes it is healing well, the colour is due to pigmentation which will take time to come back.
You can stop using Neosporin now, but do ensure that you maintain good hygiene.
Hi doctor , please find an update from my last query to you . Has the healing improved? I hope this is nothing to worryabout . It can't be cancer or anything right ?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, I would like to know whether you have stopped using Neosporin, as the area around the wound looks wet on the image.
There is still a small area of the ulcer that is yet to heal. Stop using Neosporin and keep the area dry and clean.
This ulcer doesn't look like cancer at all, and the way it is healing shows it is only due to infection.
Follow the instructions and you should be alright.
I had put some moisturizer by mistake . Won't continue that . Also would you advise Augmentin to help the healing process? I feel part of the folliculitis is still there a little bit .. would like your inputs as I'm travelling for the next one month and i sincerely thank you for all the advise . It will heal naturally right ? And how much time would it take ?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
# Hi, I would not advise on augmentin now. Just keep the area dry and it will heal well. It should take at least a week for the ulcer to heal, but it will heal naturally.

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a case of folliculitis, probably fungal or bacterial in nature. Apply Mupirocin ointment, twice daily. For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Why am I having a painful blister in the inner thigh?

Query: Hello doctor,I have got a small blister on the inner thigh of the right leg. I had got a similar blister at the same spot last year. The new blister is just adjacent to it. This, as per my understanding is due to body heat. When I take B-complex tablets during the night, the pain subsides the next d...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is probably folliculitis and occurs due to unhygienic and sweaty local area. You need to keep it clean and dry especially in hot seasons. You should use powder like Nycil daily so as to keep it dry. Now, you should have capsule Augmentin duo 1 g two times a day ...  Read Full

I have some eruptions on the skin of my pubic area. What could they be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having these hard clusters of bumps show up in the pubic region. The bumps are not razor burn. They are not filled with fluid. They can be cut off, but I want to get to the source to remove them. They do not itch, nor do they hurt. Any help would be appreciated.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be molluscum contagiosum or folliculitis. A skin biopsy would help to diagnose. Do you have a history of unprotected sexual exposure? Do not touch or prick it. It can lead to a secondary infection. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --...  Read Full