Common "Folliculitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Folliculitis is a skin condition that results in the inflammation of hair follicles. The symptoms include clusters of white or red bumps around the hair follicle, itchy or burning skin, and the skin becomes tender. This condition is most commonly caused due to infection with the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why am I having lot of white pimples on buttocks?

Query: Hello doctor, My buttocks got some skin disorders. It is filled with a lot of small white pimples and it gets dead and the skin became very bad. It looks very dirty and I feel very uncomfortable. No itching or pain, but rarely I feel itchy. In my teenage, it started I guess. Now, I am 28 years old. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen your query and concern. I have examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems you have tinea incognito with superadded folliculitis. Follow certain general measures. Do not keep the area wet at all. Use Clotrimazole powder f...  Read Full »

Can my reoccurring follicular abscess be caused due to engaging in oral sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male and had sexual intercourse with protection but actively did oral sex one year before. I am onboard a ship now, and I have a follicular abscess infection. I am treated with antibiotics, and it goes away with that and comes back after 15 to 20 days. Abscess keeps ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shah Sushma Kant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Protected sex is very safe sex. The abscess may be due to any other reason. It is not HIV and has nothing to do with sex. Until you arrive home, I am prescribing oral antibiotics, anti-inflammatory to take with antacids, and anti-allergic medicines. 1) Tablet Augme...  Read Full »

I am experiencing a large, soft, squishy pimple-like protrusion on my buttocks. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a large, soft squishy boil or huge pimple-like protrusion on my buttocks.Though it comes and goes, it gets extremely big. The center is light, while the edges are red. The center is soft and spongy, while the sides are stiff. What might it be, and how should I respond? Please h...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and examined your picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You appear to have furunculosis or folliculitis. Boils (furuncles) are a profound bacterial infection of the hair follicles. The reason for the recurrence is Staphyloco...  Read Full »

What does a painful pimple-like bump around the anus indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, Near the anus, a pimple-like bump has appeared which is painful and is causing me discomfort. I guess it is not piles. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I acknowledge the image attached (attachments removed to protect patient's identity) with this email. It looks like folliculitis, which is usually caused by bacteria. It is common during the summer season due to increased sweating and humidity. Take care of your nutr...  Read Full »

Why do I have bumps around my pubic hair after shaving?

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed two bumps around my pubic hairs close to each other after I shaved my pubic hairs. What is it and what is the cause of it? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. I went through the image (the attachment was removed to protect the patient's identity). It seems to be folliculitis which is a bacterial skin and soft tissue infection. However, I request you to kindly upload a...  Read Full »

Red, painful swelling in pubic area. Is it ingrown hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red and hard swelling in the pubic area around the waistline. The swelling is painful and tender when touched, although I cannot see any pus in it. I think it can be due to an ingrown hair, I plucked the hair in the region, although this did not result in any reduction in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have reviewed the information and image provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The swelling appears to be an abscess from the pictures shared. Swelling at the end of the hair follicle in the pubic area suggests folliculitis, an infection o...  Read Full »

I got a wound on my face while plucking a white hair strand.

Query: Hello doctor, I wounded my face once while removing a white hair strand growing on my face. After removing the hair strand, the skin around it starts to peel off and there is a slight watery discharge after pinching the wound. I have used topical medication on the wound. But the skin heals and the w...  Read Full »

Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. You have developed folliculitis and I suggest you do not pluck that hair strand anymore. Apply Clindamycin Phosphate (antibiotic) cream on the wound and keep the area dry at all times. If you wish to remove it for cos...  Read Full »

Why do I have anal pain when I sit, lift things, or walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had pain in my anal area for less than a week. It hurts every time I sit down, lift something, squat down, or walk. I have a previous history of dust allergy and hay fever. I have used the tablet Cetirizine in the past. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for the query. I understand your concern. You have an inflamed pus lesion in the anal area. It may be due to folliculitis. Do you have any issues related to passing stools? I suggest the below steps. Avoid wearing tight clothes. Wear loose inner wears. Avoi...  Read Full »

I have an itchy pubic area. Is it herpes or folliculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about two lesions for which I will upload photos. In the first to the third photo, the pubic area was initially itchy, so I checked it after scratching, and there was blood. After wiping the blood, I took a picture. There are no other symptoms. The next photos are from th...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The lesions are bacterial folliculitis. These are not related to herpes in any way. Folliculitis is caused by bacterial infection in most of the cases and staphylococcus aureus is the common bacteria responsible for it. The lesions with pus...  Read Full »

I am suffering from vaginal sensitivity and dark spots after shaving. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been shaving since I was 14 years old. At first, shaving was not a problem for me. Everything was fine no dark spots or any signs of hyperpigmentation. But as time passed, the more I shaved, the more sensitive it became down there. I researched home remedies to bleach my vagina na...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You might be suffering from folliculitis barbae and pseudofolliculitis barbae. Please take the following measures. Ensure the skin is well moisturized. Use a lotion containing glycolic acid on the affected areas. This exfoliates the surface skin cells and reduces the...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.