Q. Why am I having painful bump with folliculitis below nipple?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I am a 33-year-old obese male. About 1 and a half years ago, I had a painful folliculitis, right below the left nipple which was cured after taking some antibiotics. It had caused a tiny bump below the left nipple, which when touched hurt. Anyways, after taking antibiotics it got healed. The place, however, continued to have a bump, but it was hollow to touch. You could press it down and when released, it would pop back up again. There was no pain.

About three weeks ago, I felt pain in the exact same spot where I had folliculitis and sure enough, it was back. It was painful to touch exactly like when I first got that. So I took antibiotics and the folliculitis got cured again, in the sense that there is no longer any pain to touch it. However, the bump of the folliculitis still remains. It does not pain at all to touch no matter how hard you touch it, and the size of the bump has also lessened. However, that bump remains and feel hard underneath, though it does not hurt to touch. What should I do?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

The description you have mentioned is quite classical for anetoderma. This condition arises whenever the skin's elastic and collagen fibers are damaged because of an infective or inflammatory condition. Due to the painful folliculitis, a few of these fibers in the affected area could have been damaged resulting in such condition. This can occur as a consequence of any skin disorder, it is totally benign, and if not causing any trouble best to leave it alone. However, in case you want to try something for it, you could use Tretinoin 0.025 % cream over the affected area for two hours daily.

|