Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why am I having painful bump with folliculitis below nipple?

Answered by
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 33-year-old obese male. About 1 and a half years ago, I had a painful folliculitis, right below the left nipple which was cured after taking some antibiotics. It had caused a tiny bump below the left nipple, which when touched hurt. Anyways, after taking antibiotics it got healed. The place, however, continued to have a bump, but it was hollow to touch. You could press it down and when released, it would pop back up again. There was no pain.

About three weeks ago, I felt pain in the exact same spot where I had folliculitis and sure enough, it was back. It was painful to touch exactly like when I first got that. So I took antibiotics and the folliculitis got cured again, in the sense that there is no longer any pain to touch it. However, the bump of the folliculitis still remains. It does not pain at all to touch no matter how hard you touch it, and the size of the bump has also lessened. However, that bump remains and feel hard underneath, though it does not hurt to touch. What should I do?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome to

The description you have mentioned is quite classical for anetoderma. This condition arises whenever the skin's elastic and collagen fibers are damaged because of an infective or inflammatory condition. Due to the painful folliculitis, a few of these fibers in the affected area could have been damaged resulting in such condition. This can occur as a consequence of any skin disorder, it is totally benign, and if not causing any trouble best to leave it alone. However, in case you want to try something for it, you could use Tretinoin 0.025 % cream over the affected area for two hours daily.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Having some discoloration on the back of the scalp. Could it be folliculitis?
I have something on penis foreskin. Can this be folliculitis?
How to differentiate between scabies, flea bite, bed bug, and folliculitis?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.