Q. Why does my 7-week-old daughter always poop after having formula milk?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My little one is 7 weeks old, and the last two days, I have had difficulty feeding her to her demands. Sometimes, it happens, and I substitute with milk formula, which has happened maybe six to seven times in the past. But the last two days, I had to supplement twice a day. Since she would not stop crying for milk, and she always poops right after having formula. There has been no problem with wet diapers.

#

I understand your concern.

1. Feeding difficulty may arise because of two reasons:

a. Improper latching.

b. Improper position.

2. Usually, those baby who latches correctly do not require formula milk. The mother's breast milk is sufficient.

3. Mix feeding (breast milk and formula) create confusion for the baby, and digestion also is affected.

4. As baby poops after formula feed, it means the baby cannot digest, so stop for a while.

5. Make sure you empty one side of breast milk then give the other side of the breast. Because the baby must get hindmilk to calm his hunger. If the baby is not getting the hindmilk, the baby will always be hungry after a few hours.

Feel free to connect if there are any concerns.

Happy to serve you.

|