Q. The scan report showed fetal left kidney obscured. Is there any problem for my baby?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Jan 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Today I took my 36th week scan. In that they mentioned mild fullness of fetal right pelvis noted 5 mm. Fetal left kidney obscured. And, they suggested to do a scan for the baby after delivery. Is there any problem for baby? Please clarify it.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I have to see the report and scan copies first and then I can comment better on that.
  • There can be a fullness of renal pelvis and it can be normal.
  • As far as another kidney is concerned, they have written as you said obscured. That mean they cannot find in that scan. There can be many reasons. Because the baby is not stable and keep moving. Due to the bone shadow of baby and baby position, it is sometimes difficult to see structures. But, you cannot ignore and there could be only one kidney.
  • But, you cannot get a final answer at 36 weeks. You have to wait until delivery and do sonography of the baby after birth to confirm. This is all you have to do and do not have any other choice.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article

What is extrarenal pelvis of the right kidney?

Query: Hi doctor, In my kidney ultrasound, my left kidney shows mild dilatation of calyces with dilated extrarenal pelvis of approximately 39 mm. What does it mean?  Read Full »

My second anomaly scan shows two markers for DS. Is there a need to worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female. My first trimester NT and double marker test showed a very low risk of 1:3690 for DS and 1:100000 for two other abnormalities. During the second-trimester anomaly scan, the doctor found two markers, CP cyst and mild RPD 4 mm and 4.5 mm. I have given blood fo...  Read Full »