Q. Will there be any long-term effect of slow weight gain pattern in babies?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Oct 25, 2019

I am worried about the weight gain of my baby. She was born three years back and had weight: 3.36 kg, length 51 cm and head circumference 35 cm. We started exclusively breastfeeding. On the 30th day appointment she had weight 4 kg, length 56 cm, and head circumference 38 cm. 60th day appointment: weight 4.75 kg, length: 57 cm, and head circumference 40 cm. 90th day appointment, weight 5.58 kg, length 61 cm, head circumference 41 cm. Since then she did not gain any weight for two weeks, so we started giving also Formula, without much success, she barely drinks 120 ml for one meal. Her weight gain has not been good since, on the 120th day appointment, she was 5.91 kg. How can I make her drink more at each meal? Would my baby be described as failure to thrive? What are the long-term effects of this slow weight gain pattern?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The weight of your baby is slightly less. See it is not about the quantity, it is about the frequency of the feeds and the calorie content of each feed.

1. Feeding should be done every two hourly. Even at night.

2. Fortification of the milk can be done by using Simyl MCT oil and HMF sachet in each feed. In food fortification, the quantity of each feed remains same but the calorie content increases.

I hope this helps your baby gain weight. Weight should double birth weight by 6 months, triple by 1 year, and be 4 times by 2 years.

Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermitten...  Read Full »