Q. I get a short and sharp pain when I touch my premolar. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jun 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I have pain in my left second premolar. The x-rays do not show anything, and it does not hurt if I tap on it or drink cold water. It seems to hurt near the root of the tooth, but only on one side, that is, the side facing the first molar. When I touch this side, I feel a short, sharp pain. If I do not touch it, it feels more like a dull ache. I have been using sensitive toothpaste and mouthwash to make my enamel stronger, but nothing seems to work. I have been cleaning my gums as well, and they are not bleeding. What is happening? Any ideas?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• By your description, it seems maybe your premolar might have a vertical fracture involving the nerves inside. This might be either due to a large filling, which may have caused more pressure on the remaining tooth structure or even biting on a very hard object or food.
  • You need to get it checked by a dentist. The dentist would use direct illumination to check for a fracture. Vertical fracture cases usually require tooth extraction, and in some rare cases, root canal treatment can be done to save them.
  • But, it can also be something, like an infection, which may not have come up on an x-ray till now. A detailed examination is required.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

How is a cracked molar treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cracked molar tooth. My dentist drilled it down and put on a temporary. We waited for a week and the temporary hurt. He decided that I need crown lengthening, which I had done. I went back to the dentist after it healed for three weeks and had an impression for a crown. He had to ...  Read Full »

How long does it take to correct an open bite with braces?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a quite wide open bite. I am 24 years old and want to get them fixed with braces. The open bite is so big that I can thrust a pencil in my mouth with my teeth closed. I have attached a photo for your reference. Will it require surgery or can it be fixed with braces? How long will i...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »