Q. I get a short and sharp pain when I touch my premolar. Why?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Fractured Tooth or Root Canal Treatment? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: I get a short and sharp pain when I touch my premolar.  Why?

I have pain in my left second premolar. The x-rays do not show anything, and it does not hurt if I tap on it or drink cold water. It seems to hurt near the root of the tooth, but only on one side, that is, the side facing the first molar. When I touch this side, I feel a short, sharp pain. If I do not touch it, it feels more like a dull ache. I have been using sensitive toothpaste and mouthwash to make my enamel stronger, but nothing seems to work. I have been cleaning my gums as well, and they are not bleeding. What is happening? Any ideas?