Q. Is it necessary to remove a tooth that is cracked inside the crown?

Dr. Asma Parveen
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

When a tooth is cracked inside a crown, is it necessary to remove it? The root canal is from 30 years ago. I got hit two weeks ago which caused the trauma to the tooth.

#

• In case of a fractured tooth, it is always advisable to get it extracted especially in cases of a tooth with a crown.
  • I would like to know whether you are having pain now and when did you come to know about the fracture?

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I was kicked in the face. So, the pain was immediate. I never felt a pain in the tooth (because of the root canal) but definitely in the gum area. The area was and is inflamed and has gotten better but with a lingering uncomfortable feeling above the teeth. The incident happened on the 23rd of last month. I was not able to see my dentist until the 25th, who suggested an extraction. I went for a follow up on the 10th and extraction was suggested again. I saw an endodontist on the 10th and he also suggested extraction. I guess I need implants.

#

• Since you have got your root canal treatment done on the affected teeth, that is why there is no pain as the nerve has been removed from your teeth. But if you leave the tooth as it is now, the discomfort is going to continue because of the fractured portion inside, which is going to irritate the tissues around the tooth.
  • So, I will also advise you to go for an extraction as early as possible.
  • And you can either opt for an implant or a dental bridge for the tooth replacement as these are the best options available these days in dentistry.

Hopefully, this should help you. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|