Fractures

When will my fracture heal?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I fractured my left clavicle. The bones were displaced and the doctors advised to heal it conservatively. They used sling and the figure of 8 brace for six weeks for the same. No retraction for alignment or surgery was performed. It has been three months and still I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conservative management of clavicle fracture followed by rehabilitation for complete shoulder movements may take up to three months of time under normal circumstances. Bump during fracture healing is a normal phenomenon and it is due to callus formation. It resolves a...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for an 81-year-old woman?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 81 years old. She had undergone one left shoulder surgery due to a fracture in the neck of the humerus four years ago. She also had experienced a cerebral stroke resulting partial paralysis of the left hand and the left leg. Now, due to a sudden fall on the ground, she also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history as well as the images attached to it (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has fractured her right humerus and she also has osteoarthritis in right shoulder and osteoporosis. She had a cerebrovascular accident ca...  Read Full »

Is the surgery for fracture advisable for an 80-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother is 80 years old. Her left side is paralyzed. She is incapable of holding or carrying any weight or exert pressure by her left arm for more than 15 years. Now, she met with a fracture in the same hand. I have attached the x-ray of her left arm. If the fracture and dislocat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the x-ray image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since the affected side is already paralyzed for more than 15 years, there is no point of going through extensive surgery of fixation of distal humerus in 80 year...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to bear the pain while doing physiotherapy for leg injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I met with an accident three months before and my left leg was injured. It includes tendon cut and multiple fractures. On the next day, the tendon was repaired through an operation. After 25 days all stitches had been removed and I got plaster on my left leg. And now, the plaster has been...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your injury was very bad and now it looks so much better. The photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows the skin and soft tissues have healed very well. The treatment given to you was very correct. Pain occurs in these type of injuries due to stiffness...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for a broken ankle.

Query: Hello doctor, My partner, who is 36 years old, broke his ankle (fibula break) before 7.5 weeks. I had been for his appointment where he had an x-ray and found that the bone has not knitted together. He smokes approximately 10 cigarettes per day. I have found through online research, that smoking hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fibula is involved in only 15% weight transmission in case of fracture. Weight transfer can be effectively taken up by the tibia. However, it forms the ankle joint proper and the fracture site. The fracture pattern are must to determine before giving any comments on the t...  Read Full »

Can you please give a second opinion for knee surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. When I met with an accident before six years my left leg below knee got injured and the doctors has done wrong surgery. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send me details of the accident and the surgery done, so that I can help you further. Please also send me the current x-ray pictures and name of the surgical procedure done. Revert back with reports and more detailed history to an orthopaedician and traumatol...  Read Full »

I have sudden ankle swelling and pain. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient's left leg is swollen at ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days. He is unable to walk regularly as before. He has taken antibiotic and still the pain remains the same. Patient has done x-ray and blood test and everything seems to be fine. There is no accident...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are talking about your father here in this query. Acute or sudden onset of ankle pain in a 61 year old male, who was previously healthy, can be due to many reasons such as: Cellulitis. Ankle sprain. Tendinitis. Synovitis of the ankle joint. Retrocalcaneal burs...  Read Full »

Why is mom not able to walk?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 83 years old. She is suffering from hypertension. She is taking Tazloc 40 mg bd since six to seven years. Of late, she cannot walk on her own. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, difficulty to walk could be due to many conditions. I have listed them below. Weakness of bones or fracture in her hip bones. Considering her age she can have weakness of bones due to calcium or vitamin D deficiency or due to disease like osteoporosis. This...  Read Full »

Will skull fracture likely to cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, Before one and a half months ago, I had a skull fracture on the right side of my head. Is it possible to lose hearing? Because I cannot hear from my right ear since then.  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is possible to have hearing loss after a head injury, especially if it was as severe as in your case where it leads to a fracture. Our ear consists of three little bones called ossicles which help in taking the vibrations of sound from the ear drum to the inner ea...  Read Full »

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot. I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot as much as...  Read Full »