Common "Fractures" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Bone is connective tissue. Any break in the connectivity of the bone is known as a fracture. It may be due to bone pathologies like cancer, osteogenesis imperfecta, osteoporosis, etc. In such cases, it is referred to as pathological fractures. It can also be due to trauma and road accidents. Fractures cause pain, swelling, bruise, inability to move the affected region, discoloration over the skin of the fractured site, and bleeding in case of open fractures. Immobilization is the primary treatment principle. Based on the site and intensity, plaster casts, screws, rods, plates, and external fixators approximate the fractured ends in their original shape and immobilized.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I slipped while walking. Please review my X-ray reports.

Query: Hello doctor,One week ago I have slipped when walking, fell after hitting the curb, and landed on my right foot in an awkward position from small altitude. I was able to walk with minor to moderate pain, and visited the nearest trauma center in an hour, got an X-ray and cast immobilization, and was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada Jitendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your radiographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) do not show any meta-tarsal fracture. However, a medical cuneiform fracture is seen. Probably it could be a Lisfranc injury. An orthopedic consultation is advisable as you would require casting to stabili...  Read Full »

I have fractured both of my heel bones. Please review.

Query: Hello doctor, I have fractured both my heel bones during a jump from a six feet gate during vacations. Now I am back to my workplace. As per the doctor, there is no need for the surgery and the conservative treatment will work. Both the heels are in the cast now for past one month and there is only ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Looking at the X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) lateral view of both heels taken nearly six weeks from the injury there is still a gap visible at the fracture site and this will mean that the fracture is not fully united. More importantly, there...  Read Full »

Immunoglobulin levels decreased despite medication. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54-year-old woman and I am on immunosuppressant drugs for Behcet's and Sjogren's disease. My latest blood tests are a bit off and I am waiting for a specialist appointment, but I would be so appreciative if someone in the know can let me know what might be happening. IgA is 27.4 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Singh Smrita

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your immunoglobulin levels are increased due to the fact that you have autoimmune conditions. Yes, the immunoglobulin levels need to be reduced since you are taking immunosuppressant therapy but that will occur only once your autoimmune conditions are adequately contr...  Read Full »

My mother has sudden leg pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 80 years is suffering from acute leg pain. She is a patient of filariasis in right leg and also femur fracture in the same leg. Reports of all recently done tests are normal.¬†Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Pankush Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to What the patient needs to do is: Keep the affected leg elevated over two pillows. Take tablet Orthal forte thrice a day for three days. Take tablet Carnitor 500 mg twice a day for three days. Revert back with the x-rays and reports to an orthopaedician a...  Read Full »

I have sudden ankle swelling and pain. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,The patient's left leg is swollen at the ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days. He is unable to walk regularly as before. He has taken antibiotics and still the pain remains the same. The patient has done an X-ray and blood test and everything seems to be fine. There ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I guess you are talking about your father here in this query. Acute or sudden onset of ankle pain in a 61 year old male, who was previously healthy, can be due to many reasons such as: Cellulitis. Ankle sprain. Tendinitis. Synovitis of the ankle joint. Retrocal...  Read Full »

My 70-year-old mother has been advised plastering for her forearm fracture. Will that help her recover?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 70 years old, fell and broke her forearm. Because of her age and weakness, surgery is not possible. So the doctor has suggested plastering the fracture and giving her bone-forming injections. Have some questions about this line of treatment - Will it help her recover f...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for the query. I have seen the X-rays (attachments removed for patient identity protection). There are two things. The bones at the fracture site are not aligned in an acceptable position. The bones are very weak due to osteoporosis. We have to treat ost...  Read Full »

I have a small fracture in my thumb. Is surgery necessary?

Query: Hello doctor, A week back, I slipped and injured my right thumb. There was a cut just below the top side nail with lots of bleeding. The doctor had bandaged it, and the wound seems to have healed. The X-ray report says 'evidence of mildly displaced comminuted fracture is seen in the base of the dist...  Read Full »

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The need for surgery depends on the displacement and the width of the bone fragment. Kindly upload your X-rays so that I can give you an accurate advice. Regards.   Read Full »

Is splinting sufficient for ulla bone fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fracture of the ulna bone and visited an orthopedician today. Because of the wounds on my knuckles, as you can see in the picture, the doctor could not cast it. Instead, a splint is put on it that I shall remove only for shower. Shall I take a shower with the splint? Will the...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You shall keep the splint on while you shower as reapplication is always a little tricky, and though you may succeed most of the time, it will be impractical if you are in a hurry. So cover it with a readymade waterproof cover with an elasticated mouth. After five weeks...  Read Full »

Please review my sister-in-law's hand X-ray for a fracture.

Query: Hello doctor, I am attaching the X-ray reports of my sister-in-law, whose hand has been fractured. She has HTN. Kindly suggest the protocol she needs to follow step by step.   Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) the X-ray reports. She has a fracture of the lower end of the radius just above the wrist, which is displaced with a tilt. I suggest a closed reduction and a below elbow plaster slab for one week. Rep...  Read Full »

It is painful after cast removal from a fractured hand. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My 66-year-old mother had a distal radius fracture in her right hand two months back. She has diabetes, hypertension, hypothyroidism, ASD, and osteoporosis. The doctor performed a K-wire fixation and put a plaster of Paris cast from her fingers all the way up to her shoulder (just a li...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Sorry to hear that the surgery and its outcome have not met your level of expectations. I would like to see the entire set of X-rays before I can comment on the healing of the fracture, as well as the timing of the removal of wires. Usually, the wires are removed aro...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.