Fractures

How long do swelling and numbness last after mandible surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I was having a bilateral fracture of mandible at angles on both sides and have done the surgery. After six weeks, there is slight swelling on one side and also numbness in the lower lip and a small portion of skin below the lower lip. How much time will it take to subside the swelling an...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The post-operative swelling and numbness after mandible fracture surgery are common. The swelling is mild as you have mentioned. Then, it should resolve in another one to two weeks as the tissues heal. The numbness is because the mental nerve, which runs through the mandi...  Read Full »

Is splinting the best treatment option for my ankle injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 48 year old male. I had an x-ray of my right ankle. The technique used was three view exam. The findings are as follows: Spiral fracture of the distal fibula. This is anatomic in alignment. Cortical avulsion of the medial malleolar process. The cortex of the malleolus at the delto...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I believe that surgery for plating of the fibula would have been an option I would seriously consider (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can still consider this option if another check x-ray shows that the talus is displaced when in a dorsiflexed positi...  Read Full »

I have a displaced clavicle fracture. Is surgery advisable after two weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have displaced clavicle fracture. My doctor told me that the surgery depends on my decision. It has been two weeks since I got the accident. Initially, I thought the fracture would heal itself. But, I do like to get surgery. Is it possible for me to have operation after a period of two ...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Management of a clavicle fracture depends upon a few factors and surgery is indicated only if it falls in the category of indications. To tell you whether surgery is required or not, I will need your clinical pictures of the affected area and x-rays of the fractured cl...  Read Full »

Does my wife need any more surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have doubts on behalf of my wife. Three days back, she met with an accident and got her foot injured. Her heel got severe damage and after diagnosis doctor said the following. Left heel pad avulsion injury, communicated fracture calcaneum left foot and medial malleolus fracture o...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that your wife sustained an injury to her left limb with extensive injury of the heel region and around the ankle. I presume an external fixator has been applied along with debridement and suturing the wound. It is an understatement to say that it i...  Read Full »

Based on the foot X-ray, is my foot fractured?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a fall from a stool almost eight to nine days ago. Since then, I had a foot swelling on the right leg. As I could not get an x-ray at that point of time, it was not diagnosed. I considered it as a sprain and used some natural oil massages and scrape bandage for a while. So, the swel...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a fracture of the base of 5th metatarsal bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not much displaced and so, it can be managed nonoperatively. You will either require a plaster cast or you can wear an Aircast boot. Apply ice packs for now two t...  Read Full »

Can you please give a second opinion on my daughter's clavicle fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 1 year old kid fell down and had clavicle - collarbone fracture. I have attached the images. On the image it looks like the bone is apart. Doctors told to leave it as such and it will be fine in a three week's time. But, I am looking for a second opinion as the bone is apart and I a...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My decision in such case is to operate and fix the bone as the gap is quite good. If not done, then it could lead to misalignment of the bone and this would be a great problem in the future...  Read Full »

Can tibial fracture result in peroneal palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tibial shaft fracture and the doctors placed an intramedullary rod for the recovery. It has been two weeks. SLR and knee flexion are good. But, I am unable to actively dorsiflex. My doctor said it could be a common peroneal palsy and suggested for a nerve conduction test after fou...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tibial shaft fractures are usually not known to cause peroneal nerve palsy. Did you have the problem with dorsiflexion of the foot before the rod was placed? This may have been difficult for you to remember, but your doctor should have checked and documented this in ...  Read Full »

When will my fracture heal?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I fractured my left clavicle. The bones were displaced and the doctors advised to heal it conservatively. They used sling and the figure of 8 brace for six weeks for the same. No retraction for alignment or surgery was performed. It has been three months and still I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conservative management of clavicle fracture followed by rehabilitation for complete shoulder movements may take up to three months of time under normal circumstances. Bump during fracture healing is a normal phenomenon and it is due to callus formation. It resolves a...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for an 81-year-old woman?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 81 years old. She had undergone one left shoulder surgery due to a fracture in the neck of the humerus four years ago. She also had experienced a cerebral stroke resulting partial paralysis of the left hand and the left leg. Now, due to a sudden fall on the ground, she also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history as well as the images attached to it (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has fractured her right humerus and she also has osteoarthritis in right shoulder and osteoporosis. She had a cerebrovascular accident ca...  Read Full »

Is the surgery for fracture advisable for an 80-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother is 80 years old. Her left side is paralyzed. She is incapable of holding or carrying any weight or exert pressure by her left arm for more than 15 years. Now, she met with a fracture in the same hand. I have attached the x-ray of her left arm. If the fracture and dislocat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the x-ray image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since the affected side is already paralyzed for more than 15 years, there is no point of going through extensive surgery of fixation of distal humerus in 80 year...  Read Full »