Fractures

I have sudden ankle swelling and pain. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient's left leg is swollen at ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days. He is unable to walk regularly as before. He has taken antibiotic and still the pain remains the same. Patient has done x-ray and blood test and everything seems to be fine. There is no accident...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are talking about your father here in this query. Acute or sudden onset of ankle pain in a 61 year old male, who was previously healthy, can be due to many reasons such as: Cellulitis. Ankle sprain. Tendinitis. Synovitis of the ankle joint. Retrocalcaneal burs...  Read Full »

Why is mom not able to walk?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 83 years old. She is suffering from hypertension. She is taking Tazloc 40 mg bd since six to seven years. Of late, she cannot walk on her own. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, difficulty to walk could be due to many conditions. I have listed them below. Weakness of bones or fracture in her hip bones. Considering her age she can have weakness of bones due to calcium or vitamin D deficiency or due to disease like osteoporosis. This...  Read Full »

Will skull fracture likely to cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, Before one and a half months ago, I had a skull fracture on the right side of my head. Is it possible to lose hearing? Because I cannot hear from my right ear since then.  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is possible to have hearing loss after a head injury, especially if it was as severe as in your case where it leads to a fracture. Our ear consists of three little bones called ossicles which help in taking the vibrations of sound from the ear drum to the inner ea...  Read Full »

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot. I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot as much as...  Read Full »

How is a nose bone injury treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is 3 and a half years old. He fell from the bed and hurt his nose around 7 or 8 months back. Now, as the doctors have said, his bone there is moving in the wrong direction, that is towards inside. What is the best course of action for him? Should he go under the knife? I am ple...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

How is the fracture of fifth metatarsal bone treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I twisted my leg and got an x-ray done. The report showed fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal bone. How to proceed with the treatment? Thank you in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your injury. I had looked at the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you seem to be having a pseudo-Jones fracture. Mostly, this fracture can heal without any surgical intervention. You will have to use either a walking cast or ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for arm fracture and rib injury.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is a 40 year old female. She met with an accident before 10 days. Her arms and shoulders got fractured. Her ribs too got injured. She is having chest pain, breathing problem and clot in blood vein. I have attached all her CT scan and x-ray reports with this. Please advise what ...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

General Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.comAs per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) submitted, I understand that it was a major accident. She has multiple injuries to various parts. Usually, with such injuries, it is difficult to isolate each problem and provide a solution without seeing ...  Read Full »

What will happen if a Jones fracture is left untreated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. I broke it for the first time last year and again this year. At this stage, it is showing a nonunion, but I can easily bear weight and there is no pain or swelling. I have no plans to play sports or go running in the future. I was wonderin...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question, and it seems that your fracture is not healing well. There are a few points which I want you to know: The first and the fifth metatarsal are actually the weight-bearing bones in the foot. So, proper union of any fracture involving ...  Read Full »

Do broken bones set themselves as a child grows?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius. They are broken in the middle of his arm. The x-ray shows that the broken bones are displaced. The doctor did not perform a reduction and ordered a full arm cast. He stated that the bones will set themselves as my son grows. Is this true...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the x-rays of your child (attachment removed to protect patient identity).To be very honest, I am not happy if this is the position which has been accepted after the cast has been put. It is true that fractures remodel in children very well and that they al...  Read Full »

My mother is suffering from acute leg pain. Filaria & femur fracture in right leg. Any suggestions for relief?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 80 years is suffering from acute leg pain. She is a patient of filariasis in right leg and also femur fracture in the same leg. Reports of all recently done tests are normal. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Pankush Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What the patient needs to do is: Keep the affected leg elevated over two pillows. Take tablet Orthal forte thrice a day for three days. Take tablet Carnitor 500 mg twice a day for three days. Revert back with the x-rays and reports to an orthopaedician a...  Read Full »