Fractures

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot. I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot as much as...  Read Full »

How is a nose bone injury treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is 3 and a half years old. He fell from the bed and hurt his nose around 7 or 8 months back. Now, as the doctors have said, his bone there is moving in the wrong direction, that is towards inside. What is the best course of action for him? Should he go under the knife? I am ple...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

How is the fracture of fifth metatarsal bone treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I twisted my leg and got an x-ray done. The report showed fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal bone. How to proceed with the treatment? Thank you in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your injury. I had looked at the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you seem to be having a pseudo-Jones fracture. Mostly, this fracture can heal without any surgical intervention. You will have to use either a walking cast or ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for arm fracture and rib injury.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is a 40 year old female. She met with an accident before 10 days. Her arms and shoulders got fractured. Her ribs too got injured. She is having chest pain, breathing problem and clot in blood vein. I have attached all her CT scan and x-ray reports with this. Please advise what ...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

General Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.comAs per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) submitted, I understand that it was a major accident. She has multiple injuries to various parts. Usually, with such injuries, it is difficult to isolate each problem and provide a solution without seeing ...  Read Full »

What will happen if a Jones fracture is left untreated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. I broke it for the first time last year and again this year. At this stage, it is showing a nonunion, but I can easily bear weight and there is no pain or swelling. I have no plans to play sports or go running in the future. I was wonderin...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question, and it seems that your fracture is not healing well. There are a few points which I want you to know: The first and the fifth metatarsal are actually the weight-bearing bones in the foot. So, proper union of any fracture involving ...  Read Full »

Do broken bones set themselves as a child grows?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius. They are broken in the middle of his arm. The x-ray shows that the broken bones are displaced. The doctor did not perform a reduction and ordered a full arm cast. He stated that the bones will set themselves as my son grows. Is this true...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the x-rays of your child (attachment removed to protect patient identity).To be very honest, I am not happy if this is the position which has been accepted after the cast has been put. It is true that fractures remodel in children very well and that they al...  Read Full »

My mother is suffering from acute leg pain. Filaria & femur fracture in right leg. Any suggestions for relief?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 80 years is suffering from acute leg pain. She is a patient of filariasis in right leg and also femur fracture in the same leg. Reports of all recently done tests are normal. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Pankush Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What the patient needs to do is: Keep the affected leg elevated over two pillows. Take tablet Orthal forte thrice a day for three days. Take tablet Carnitor 500 mg twice a day for three days. Revert back with the x-rays and reports to an orthopaedician a...  Read Full »

Is non-ossifying fibroma cancerous?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a pain in my ankle part. My doctor asked me to take an x-ray and it stated there is a cystic lesion. So, he asked for an MRI and it showed fibrous cortical defect and non-ossifying fibroma. Can it be cured?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This lesion is small. Considering it to be a fibrous cortical defect, this lesion can be left alone and healing can take place. It is usually an incidental finding. This lesion needs no surgery unless it progressively increases in size or an impending fracture or more tha...  Read Full »

Why do I get sharp stabbing pain inside the bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am unable to bear weight on my healed ankle. I had a fracture of the same ankle four years ago. This problem has been there since six months. Climbing stairs is a problem. I get pain inside my bone, sharp stabbing pain and some burning sensation. This stabbing pain stays for a week or s...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you sustained an ankle fracture around four years ago and now you have persistent symptoms in the same ankle joint. I actually need to know the details of your fracture and what management was done at that time. Also right now apart from pain, ...  Read Full »

Does my foot X-ray indicate any broken bones?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an accident while cycling and twisted my foot. The foot is quite swollen. I have attached X-rays. Are any of the bones in my foot broken? What should I do to recover?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How was your day? I have gone through your query and the attached X-rays in detail and understand your concern. There seems to be an incomplete fracture of the midfoot bone which is the main cause of the swelling of the foot. The first thing you should do is get the foo...  Read Full »