Q. My wife got a surgery for foot fracture. Does she need any further surgery?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

I have doubts on behalf of my wife. Three days back, she met with an accident and got her foot injured. Her heel got severe damage and after diagnosis doctor said the following. Left heel pad avulsion injury, communicated fracture calcaneum left foot and medial malleolus fracture of left leg. They did a surgery for her and took CT scan and x-ray. We have the wound pictures also. My question is that, is there any complication in that injury? Will there be any need of further surgery? If required, I will upload the pictures of CT scan and wound photos.

#

• You have mentioned that your wife sustained an injury to her left limb with extensive injury of the heel region and around the ankle. I presume an external fixator has been applied along with debridement and suturing the wound.
  • It is an understatement to say that it is a very complicated injury, especially with fractures mentioned.
  • I will need to see the clinical pictures of the wound at present along with the x-rays and CT scan images to actually understand the kind of a fracture.
  • It appears that she may require a surgery for fixation of calcaneum or heel bone, especially once the wounds have healed. But, the decision on what needs to be done actually depends upon a lot of factors and we may have to involve a plastic surgeon to see for wound coverage.
  • So, she may require more surgeries as the current one has been done as a part of initial management, so that fractures remain stable and wounds heal up properly.
  • Also, antibiotic cover will be required and healing of wounds can be assessed clinically and by a followup ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) investigation results.
  • A brief clinical summary from the treating doctor will help me understand the current clinical scenario and I can advise you accordingly.

Trauma.

1. Routine blood tests.
2. X-ray ankle - anteroposterior and lateral views.
3. X-ray foot - anteroposterior and oblique views.
4. CT scan ankle and heel region.

Wound management as advised by the primary treating surgeon.

Revert back with the photos and reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|