Q. My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius. I would like to know if my son has received proper treatment.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 02, 2019

My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius. They are broken in the middle of his arm. The x-ray shows that the broken bones are displaced. The doctor did not perform a reduction and ordered a full arm cast. He stated that the bones will set themselves as my son grows. Is this true? It does not make sense that reductions are performed on some children being that "the bones will set themselves as a child grows". I would like to know if my son has received proper treatment.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the x-rays of your child (attachment removed to protect patient identity).To be very honest, I am not happy if this is the position which has been accepted after the cast has been put. It is true that fractures remodel in children very well and that they also unite very fast. But in your child's case, I am unhappy because :

1. There is unacceptable overlapping of bones seen in the x-ray.
  2. Interosseus space between two bones is reduced which is not acceptable.

It is also known that serial x-rays have to be done because the position in a cast can change and lead to unacceptable malalignment. In any case, I will advise you not to panic. It would be better to go for closed reduction and above elbow cast under sedation.

Take care.

|