Q. Is 20% bone union after a fracture enough in a kid?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Mar 29, 2019

My 4 years old son fell in the play area and got his left arm fractured (ulna and radius). We went to ER and doctors did alignment and put him on cast and sling. I am attaching the X-rays before and after alignment. In the X-ray after alignment, one of the bones was not aligned properly. The doctor said that it is fine if it is aligned more than 20 % in kids. I am attaching both the X-rays.

Can you please check and confirm if it is fine? Also, since he is 4 years old, he is not keeping the sling all time and while playing (with toys inside the home), the sling is getting loosened. My worry is that will it delay the healing process. Does the kid always need to be in a sling while in the cast. Please advise.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

The reduction is not appropriate in this case, the bone might join in a 4-year-old child but this is certainly taking a risk. The child requires removal of the cast, reattempt at the closed reduction, application of slab for one week followed by checking of X-ray elbow with the forearm with wrist-anteroposterior and lateral view to confirm reduction is maintained or not.

If the reduction is maintained, then to undergo cast immobilization. Children do not require sling at all times. Role of the sling is to prevent edema of the limb by keeping it elevated and gives support. The child can play with well-fitted cast provided there is no fall on the limb, the cast is not soft and broken. If there is anything else, feel free to discuss further.

Other than surgery, is there a treatment for my mother's femoral neck fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from a left femoral neck fracture. Is there any other treatment other than surgery? Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The age of the patient is 72 years. At this age and with this fracture, there is more harm in not doing surgery as compared to doing surgery. Such patients can develop respiratory diffi...  Read Full

Is it necessary to be in sling always for an arm fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 year old son fell down in play area and got his left arm fractured in the region of ulna and radius. We went to the emergency room immediately and the doctors did alignment and put him on cast and sling. Can you please check the x-ray and confirm the alignment? Since he is 4 years o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reduction is not appropriate in this case, bone might join in a 4 year old child but this is certainly taking risk. Child requires removal of cast, reattempt at close reduction, application of slab for one week followed by check x-ray elbow with forearm with wrist-...  Read Full

Is surgery needed for shoulder dislocation and fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I wish to know if a surgery is needed for shoulder dislocation-cum-fracture. The patient is already undergoing treatment for arthritis and depression. So, will there be complications if put on anesthesia?  Read Full >>

Dr. Melvin J George

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that the dislocation has been reduced and she is planned for surgery. I need to know about the status of the fracture, whether it is displaced or not and the exact location of the fracture. Can you share with me the X-ray image, so that I can answer you to...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now