Ankle X-ray

Does my wife need any more surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have doubts on behalf of my wife. Three days back, she met with an accident and got her foot injured. Her heel got severe damage and after diagnosis doctor said the following. Left heel pad avulsion injury, communicated fracture calcaneum left foot and medial malleolus fracture o...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that your wife sustained an injury to her left limb with extensive injury of the heel region and around the ankle. I presume an external fixator has been applied along with debridement and suturing the wound. It is an understatement to say that it i...  Read Full »

How to treat an injured ankle that is swollen and painful?

Query: Hi doctor, Before seven months, I sprained my ankle due to a track and field injury. I postponed crutches for a week due to a trip the following day, but went on crutches the next week. I never went to see a doctor. I just went through PT with my athletic trainer. I spent three weeks without rigorou...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned injury to the ankle region, which has been managed by you and your therapist. Essentially, if one is able to ambulate after an injury, this is usually a ligament injury and not involving the bones. But, in my opinion, x-ray of the involved region sho...  Read Full »

I have difficulty in walking with swollen ankle. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 78-year-old male. My weight is 80 kg approximately, amd my height is 5.5 feet. During the last three months, I am facing difficulty in walking. This started one day after taking a walk, my feet swelled near the ankle area, this subsided after taking rest. However, after that...  Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your pain. Did you happen to twist your leg or foot while walking? Do you have pain when you press the ankle? From what you say, it appears to be a neglected ankle sprain or an undisplaced fracture for which you should take an x-ray and see. An...  Read Full »

Please help me get rid of pain due to ankle sprain.

Query: Hi doctor,I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this message finds you in good health. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern. I generally see many cases like this in my clinic. I give them a splint, rest, analgesics, anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the swelling reduces to som...  Read Full »

Kindly check my foot and ankle scan and advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I was injured three months back when my left foot and ankle were forced inward during a test and we heard a loud pop. Since there is extreme pain, I cannot put weight or walk basically bed-bound, it has been three months. It has not changed instead gotten worse with more pops, swelling ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no area of obvious injury in the scan images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, due to the presence of small muscles and ligaments, it is always best to know where exactly you are having the maximum pain and review the images again. It is ...  Read Full »

What does the MRI of right ankle following a climbing fall show?

Query: Hello doctor,MRI scan on right ankle following a climbing fall of 3.5 m and hitting the ground, inversion rolling on impact. This was a year back ongoing pain and issues. The pain is around ATFL and joint and occasional swelling after heavy activity. I am a rock climber and train in the gym. I work ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI scan images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your right ankle confirm the following findings: The ATFL (anterior talofibular ligament) and CFL (calcaneofibular ligament) are indeed showing signs of a sprain. However, the attachments are rel...  Read Full »

I accidentally put some weight on my injured ankle and it hurts. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I broke my ankle two weeks ago and had surgery. I went for a checkup after two weeks and the doctor took off the cast and put me in an airboot. But, when I was out, I accidentally put a bit of weight on the ankle with the boot on. It did not hurt that much at that time. After getting h...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you put weight on it, you need to get a check X-ray done. Get an X-ray of the affected ankle joint in AP and lateral views and follow up. Continue the same medicines. Use a walker or crutches if you want. Sit in the bathroom and take a shower. Use a plastic chair...  Read Full »

I had a leg injury six months back. When will it heal?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a leg injury, six months back. On x-ray examination, they did not find any fracture. But there is difficulty in movement, and the doctor said that the anterior tibiofibular ligament is damaged. I used NSAIDs for a short period to avoid inflammation. I am also wearing crepe bandage...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it appears you are suffering from an ankle sprain. It takes around six weeks to three months to heal depending on the severity of the injury. But, it is important that healing is not repeatedly interrupted by repeated injury. If interrupted, it wi...  Read Full »

How to treat ankle trauma that happened 8 years ago?

Query: Hi doctor, I had ankle joint trauma eight years ago, and it is still swollen. I had x-rays two days ago, and it showed 1 cm calcification in front of the joint. How to treat this?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned trauma to your ankle region around eight years back with associated swelling and calcification. Can you send me the recent x-rays of the affected joint and clinical pictures showing the range of movement of the injured ankle? If the calcification is ...  Read Full »

I got injured while playing football. Is there any ligament damage?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just playing football and got stamped on rather severely. I always get studded, but this one is much worse than the rest. The top side of my foot and a bit to the right has large swelling and pain. Is there any ligament damage? I hope not as it was only the first game of the season....  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think it might be grade 3 strain and there is no such tear of ligament. But, it is always good to get confirmed about it. Have an x-ray as soon as possible. You can follow the menti...  Read Full »