Ankle X-ray

Ankle radiographs are advised mostly after an accident in the emergency ward. Sometimes tenderness, pain, swelling, or ankle joint deformity. In some pathologic conditions like lateral malleolar fracture, maisonneuve fracture, pilon fracture, calcaneal fracture, talar neck fracture and in pediatric fractures like tillaux fracture, triplane fracture. X-ray is taken from the front, side, and in an oblique direction.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My ankle is swollen and achy after an injury. What should be done?

Query: Hello doctor,I was hit on the inside ankle bone by a very hard baseball size rubber two weeks ago. It flew out from under a lawnmower like a projectile. It immediately swelled up and bruised a lot. It has been slightly over two weeks and is still relatively swollen and achy, especially at night. I c...  Read Full »

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for contacting icliniq, and sorry to hear about your injury. It is unlikely that the described injury has caused a fracture. However, the only way to be certain is to do an X-ray. The injury might have crushed your tissues, causing pain, swelling, and bruis...  Read Full »

How to treat an injured ankle that is swollen and painful?

Query: Hi doctor, Before seven months, I sprained my ankle due to a track and field injury. I postponed crutches for a week due to a trip the following day, but went on crutches the next week. I never went to see a doctor. I just went through PT with my athletic trainer. I spent three weeks without rigorou...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have mentioned injury to the ankle region, which has been managed by you and your therapist. Essentially, if one is able to ambulate after an injury, this is usually a ligament injury and not involving the bones. But, in my opinion, x-ray of the involved region sho...  Read Full »

Why has my year-old ligament tear not healed properly?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question to ask. I had a partial ligament tear in my ankle last year. It has been a year since the incident, but it seems like I have not fully recovered. I still feel a slight pain in my ankle after I do exercises or recreations. But according to one of the doctors, I suppos...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The management for a partial ligament tear is institution of early physical therapy, ankle brace if required, anti-inflammatory medications for pain relief, etc. Now, one year is more than adequate time for to heal unless there has been a repeat injury to the ankle...  Read Full »

I accidentally put some weight on my injured ankle and it hurts. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I broke my ankle two weeks ago and had surgery. I went for a checkup after two weeks and the doctor took off the cast and put me in an airboot. But, when I was out, I accidentally put a bit of weight on the ankle with the boot on. It did not hurt that much at that time. After getting h...  Read Full »

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Since you put weight on it, you need to get a check X-ray done. Get an X-ray of the affected ankle joint in AP (anterioposterior) and lateral views and follow up. Continue the same medicines. Use a walker or crutches if you want. Sit in the bathroom and take ...  Read Full »

My ankle remains swollen after an injury eight years back. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had ankle joint trauma eight years ago, and it is still swollen. I had x-rays two days ago, and it showed 1 cm calcification in front of the joint. How to treat this?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have mentioned trauma to your ankle region around eight years back with associated swelling and calcification. Can you send me the recent x-rays of the affected joint and clinical pictures showing the range of movement of the injured ankle? If the calcification is ...  Read Full »

I got a sprain in my ankle while playing soccer. Kindly help.

Query: Hi, I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. The ball hit the outside of my foot, causing my ankle to turn inward, and it popped few times. I also landed on it sideways in the same position. They took me to the hospital, where they told it was a moderate sprain. At first, it hurt to walk, but it di...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is very unlikely to be dislocated. The ankle joint is a very stable joint, and it will not be dislocated. And, the major fracture would have been much painful, and there would have been an inability to walk. So do not worry, I think it is just a feeling, not an ac...  Read Full »

Is splinting the best treatment option for my ankle injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 48 year old male. I had an x-ray of my right ankle. The technique used was three view exam. The findings are as follows: Spiral fracture of the distal fibula. This is anatomic in alignment. Cortical avulsion of the medial malleolar process. The cortex of the malleolus at the delto...  Read Full »

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I believe that surgery for plating of the fibula would have been an option I would seriously consider (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can still consider this option if another check x-ray shows that the talus is displaced when in a dorsiflexed positi...  Read Full »

I have discomfort in a 20 years old ankle injury. Do I need to investigate it now?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question about my ankle. When I was at school, I was messing around in the changing rooms one day after PE. When I went over on my ankle, I heard a loud crack and experienced instant severe pain in my ankle. When I tried to limp into the nurse room, I passed out in the corridor. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your history and considering such injuries, x-rays are definitely recommended nowadays. But, I cannot say about the protocols 20 year back. There is always a scope of bony injury after any such trauma. Most soft tissue injuries settle during such ...  Read Full »

Does my wife need any more surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have doubts on behalf of my wife. Three days back, she met with an accident and got her foot injured. Her heel got severe damage and after diagnosis doctor said the following. Left heel pad avulsion injury, communicated fracture calcaneum left foot and medial malleolus fracture o...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have mentioned that your wife sustained an injury to her left limb with extensive injury of the heel region and around the ankle. I presume an external fixator has been applied along with debridement and suturing the wound. It is an understatement to say that it i...  Read Full »

I have difficulty in walking with swollen ankle. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 78-year-old male. My weight is 80 kg approximately, amd my height is 5.5 feet. During the last three months, I am facing difficulty in walking. This started one day after taking a walk, my feet swelled near the ankle area, this subsided after taking rest. However, after that...  Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I am sorry to hear about your pain. Did you happen to twist your leg or foot while walking? Do you have pain when you press the ankle? From what you say, it appears to be a neglected ankle sprain or an undisplaced fracture for which you should take an x-ray and see. An...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.