Free Psa

What is the use of free PSA test?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a total free PSA test done and these were the results. PSA 7.7. PSA free - 1.49. % free PSA - 19.4. What does this mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. PSA (prostate-specific antigen) is only a screening test that can be raised in any prostate abnormality. Coming back to your query, as your total PSA levels fall in the grey zone of 4-10, free PSA is done. If free PSA is more than 25% chances of you having CA prosta...  Read Full »

What is the significance of PSA biomarker test?

Query: Hello doctor, I need a urologist to look at my labs. I also have prostate PSA biomarkers like total PSA, free PSA, and prostate-specific antigen free ratio.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me tell you, your reports are absolutely fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This ratio has got significance only when your total PSA (prostate-specific antigen) level is out of normal range. You can repeat this test annually. No intervention is r...  Read Full »

Should I consult a specialist regarding my gallbladder issues?

Query: Hello doctor, I had got an abdomen ultrasound done for other reasons but, the radiologist observed the following 'gallbladder is partially distended and showing few small concretions at the GB neck. Chronic patient of the prostate. Size 47 by 41 by 38 mm, volume 39 cc. Pre-void urine 281 cc, post v...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How old are you? There is no need to worry. Small concretions are commonly found in the gallbladder. Also, the prostate size is enlarged and it is probably due to a benign prostatic hypertrophy. You should get Serum PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels done, whi...  Read Full »

I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: PSA - 9.8 ng/mL. Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL. Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %. I went back to another doctor a few weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same. Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing. Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a hig...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my PSA and free PSA values. Kindly guide me.

Query: Hi doctor,On a recent visit to the doctor, my PSA was 4.7 and free PSA was 0.78. The prostate was swollen on the right side, but no bumps or nodes felt. I had another PSA test three weeks later and the result showed PSA 2.5 and free PSA 0.60. Under what percentage do the 0.78 and the 0.60 values fal...  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Free PSA (fPSA) and %fPSA (free-to-total prostate specific antigen ratio) are called as PSA derivatives. There is no fixed normal range for fPSA. For your age, in the case of PSA above 4 malignancy or cancer needs to be ruled out by doing a biopsy. The %fPSA helps to d...  Read Full »