Q. My free PSA % is 19. 4. What does it mean?

Dr. Ankush Jairath

I had a total free PSA test done and these were the results.

PSA 7.7.

PSA free - 1.49.

% free PSA - 19.4.

What does this mean?

#

PSA (prostate-specific antigen) is only a screening test that can be raised in any prostate abnormality. Coming back to your query, as your total PSA levels fall in the grey zone of 4-10, free PSA is done.

If free PSA is more than 25% chances of you having CA prostate decreases to less than 9 %. If your free PSA would have been less than 10% biopsy would have been recommended. So when your free PSA is 19.4 so chances of you having CA prostate is relatively less and you can be kept on three months PSA and free PSA follow up.

I was worried that I had prostate cancer because I do have BPH.

#

Get your three monthly follow up PSA and free PSA on a regular basis.

Also, clinical examination (per rectal examination) is also very important. I will recommend you to get it done by some urologist nearby if available and possible.

|